CVA Accura MR-X 40cal 1-20 twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a 40cal 400ish grain conical to shoot is my main concern. Well that and the actual bore size.

Assuming its all good it would have to get a ASG LRMP plug right away or wait and see if the VariThingie plug option works well in a break action. Im super curious how the 40cal MR-X plug looks vs a regular BH209 plug for CVAs. That large powder pocket has the potential to be an issue. It will act like a powder chamber if used in a 40cal bore. I think a possible solution (if needed) is to modify a regular 209 QRBP with a tungsten bushing.

I’m hearing that the MR-X 40cal has been scrapped due to excessive breech pressures

Greg

SOUNDS LIKE A TARGET RIFLE TO ME EVERY STAE I HAVE LIVED IN IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL FOR HUNTING DEER.

I’m hearing that the MR-X 40cal has been scrapped due to excessive breech pressures

Greg
At this time no 40cal MR-X or LR-X is listed on CVA website. 45 1-22 or 50 1-28 are the only available calibers.

Did not surprise me one bit. Its not hard to imagine if you look at Westerns BH209 load data for centerfires. Just swapping from that 225gr ELR to a 300gr Pittman/ASG/Fury/Parker would be a huge pressure increase and the Accura platform is limited to a 1" OD barrel. Plus the current BH209 QRBP is not gunna handle that kind of peak for very long.

It could be done but they would need to go back to Apex barrel ODs with a plug specific to the 40cal. They are releasing a Variflame QRBP to go with the Extreme line up as an option.

Last edited:
Back