CVA Leaked the new Paramount Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used Large rifle primer systems and 209s . Jeff Fisk has also used both systems plus direct ignition. Jeff Fisk at one time told me a good 209 system gave Jeff his best ES . That may be different now ?

Myself between Hankins Large rifle system ,Lukes 209 and Knights 209 they all three give me about the same ES. Hankins system gives me the most speed due to the design of the short plug but all three will have ES around 10 to 20 is about as good as Extreme Spreads i can get with Blackhorn 209. Honestly averages closer to 20.

A lot depends on breech plug design. I find it extremely hard to believe they are getting single digit Extreme Spreads while the gun is leaking as seen on the video .( at least with max loads)

As Busta stated . Time will tell and the leaking problem may be fixed ? Very curious to see how this gun pans out. I would love to compete against one of these guns . CVA has honestly came a long way. After the bugs get worked out I have no doubt the gun will be another long range shooter.

IMO...……… someone will get the bugs worked out. Next, it doesn't have to be a competition rifle, it only has to shoot well at its advertised distance. If it'll hold MOA at 300yds, its a winner.

Had to edit this in after thinking about it. Doug I have a suggestion. Being that you've already proved yourself as a National Champion, so shooting against a new product not on the market yet.... well think about it. Now if you had one of the rifles to work with, then I'd bet the results may be different.

Last edited:
IMO...……… someone will get the bugs worked out. Next, it doesn't have to be a competition rifle, it only has to shoot well at its advertised distance. If it'll hold MOA at 300yds, its a winner.

Had to edit this in after thinking about it. Doug I have a suggestion. Being that you've already proved yourself as a National Champion, so shooting against a new product not on the market yet.... well think about it. Now if you had one of the rifles to work with, then I'd bet the results may be different.

From what I have read regarding Doug and his accomplishments on the range my money would be on him regardless of what he was shooting.

Plenty of competent shooters out there . You are absolutley correct . This rifle or for that matter any rifle does not have to prove itself at Friendship in order to be a good long range hunting rifle. As the article Busta posted the industry is definitley leaning towards long range shooting. I honestly do not think the manufactures are promoting long range hunting as much as long range shooting. You would be surprised at the people out there that just like to shoot long range. If that is the case Friendship is a good place for a friendly proving grounds.

One would be surprised how many guns that are already capable of 300 yards . Which in my opionion is a very long hunting shot.

X2, Good point Doug, not to mention some is done even with side locks. 300 yds is a long way for any rifle. I think people are looking for a rifle that works without having to correct what they should have done as manufactured. Just my opinion.

Same here. If they do it in a Mountain Rifle (MR), I'll own one tomorrow. That rifle fits me to a "T". The LR With the gooseneck stock, not so much!

Because of the length GM ?

Mainly and weight. The Accura LR in 45 will probably be over 8lbs. A MR is under 6.5lbs in 50cal. My Super DISC is around the same as a LR so its of no real benefit to me.

16 Stainless Steel 30" (LR), 27” (V2) or 25" (MR) Fluted BERGARA BARREL
45" Overall Length (LR), 42” Overall Length (V2), 40" Overall Length (MR)
8.1 lbs Total Weight (LR), 7.3 lbs. Total Weight (V2), 6.35 lbs. Total Weight (MR)

Last edited:
the weight would not bother me if I used it for long range hunting in the east that is.

the weight would not bother me if I used it for long range hunting in the east that is.

The weight is not that bad, it simply wont accomplish anything more than i can do now. The FPS increase from 27" to a 30" is insignificant. You would be lucky to gain 75fps at the absolute most. A QRBP is also nearly useless to me unless i "dry balled" a load. The firing pin bushing still needs a tool to remove and my Knight bolt does not....So as far as ease of cleaning its pretty much a wash.

What i dont have though is a sub 8lb 45. That would get my attention and as Busta said the MR fits/feels nice.

Plenty of competent shooters out there . You are absolutley correct . This rifle or for that matter any rifle does not have to prove itself at Friendship in order to be a good long range hunting rifle. As the article Busta posted the industry is definitley leaning towards long range shooting. I honestly do not think the manufactures are promoting long range hunting as much as long range shooting. You would be surprised at the people out there that just like to shoot long range. If that is the case Friendship is a good place for a friendly proving grounds.

One would be surprised how many guns that are already capable of 300 yards . Which in my opionion is a very long hunting shot.

I understand people like long range shooting Nobody more than myself.
I agree with MrTom's statement above. Having the National Champion test the rifle would be a great thing.
However, Friendship is not the only place to prove a rifle's ability.
It... might.... be getting to sound like someone's waiting for the "new kid" to show up at the playground, just to show he can whip his ask.

heard a rumor they might be at Friendship and maybe shoot.

Same here. If they do it in a Mountain Rifle (MR), I'll own one tomorrow. That rifle fits me to a "T". The LR With the gooseneck stock, not so much!
I am of the same opinion. Everything about the feel, weight and balance of the MR just seems right to me, too. I hate the CVA gooseneck stock and am not very fond of their thumbhole stocks either. I had an Accura V2 and and an Optima V2 before I got my MR and they are now both gone and I still have the MR. The other CVA models, with the longer barrels, just feel too muzzle heavy to me, especially the LR models.

I am of the same opinion. Everything about the feel, weight and balance of the MR just seems right to me, too. I hate the CVA gooseneck stock and am not very fond of their thumbhole stocks either. I had an Accura V2 and and an Optima V2 before I got my MR and they are now both gone and I still have the MR. The other CVA models, with the longer barrels, just feel too muzzle heavy to me, especially the LR models.

I would take one in an Optima V2 before the Accura V2 & LR. The Accura MR A is my favorite though, and although I don't care for the longer barrel on the PR either, it would way ahead of the LR & V2 as far as choices.

Come on CVA, I'm sure someone is watching this thread. 99% of us are hunters, not long range paper punchers and steel bangers. Put the fast twist .45 on the Accura MR already! Also offer the Paramount in a B-14 Ridge, Hunter, or Woodsman Stock. You'll sell 50 times more rifles!

The only non FFL muzzleloading bolt action on the market huh?...I think he is a bit late to the party.

Latest posts

Back