CVA Leaked the new Paramount Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it almost looks like a spring pushing the module against the breech plug ? Cant see how that would hold much pressure.

Im also surprised the barrel profile is not bigger . The stock must be heavy ?
Wonder if its some type of angled cam lock? I guess until someone gets their hands on one, we probably won't know. Maybe someone attending the shot show might say...?

it almost looks like a spring pushing the module against the breech plug ? Cant see how that would hold much pressure.

Im also surprised the barrel profile is not bigger . The stock must be heavy ?

I've probably spent more time thinking about it than I should but from the pictures that's about the only way I can figure out for it to work. It must be a floating head inside the bolt body and have a heavy spring behind it. I wondered about how you would get a good deal on it but maybe with the variflame adapters they don't see as much pressure?

Wonder if its some type of angled cam lock? I guess until someone gets their hands on one, we probably won't know. Maybe someone attending the shot show might say...?

This would be my guess as well. It could use a spring and cam that locks up tight. Then it's just a matter of how well the Variflame seals in the plug.

Like I said earlier, it can't be any worse than the $2000+ Knight 500 Red Full Plastic Jacket ignition, our the Remington Ultimate ignition that they won't warranty if you shoot Blackhorn 209 in it. I'm sure Luke or Hank will make a plug and module system for it if it is.

We should all know more sometime next week after they officially introduce it at the SHOT Show.

I wouldn't mind trying one out in a B-14 Ridge Stock. The HMR Stock would be nice on the bench or in a blind, but for carrying around and in the treestand, not so much.

said:
wouldn't mind trying one out in a B-14 Ridge Stock. The HMR Stock would be nice on the bench or in a blind, but for carrying around and in the treestand, not so much.

I think the ridge stock would be an excellent choice, or how about the timber stock? That would make a real nice looking gun.

Another video. I will see if i can get a better screen shot of the breach. Sure looks like i can see some kind of lug on the bolt behind the bolt face.

Oh yeah, its lugged and beefy too.
Q9gsJtR.png

I want to see one. I am wondering though, if you watch the video, at 1:54 does it look like there's a bunch of buildup around the breech plug?

Another video. I will see if i can get a better screen shot of the breach. Sure looks like i can see some kind of lug on the bolt behind the bolt face.

Something I noticed at right around 3:22 on the video, there was smoke coming from the rear of the action????? At 3:28 it also appears smoke from the action area?????

I saw that too on one firing. Most appeared to seal very well. Two shots though did show some leaking smoke, one in the breach and one out the end. I wonder if a simple Hankins/PR hybrid module would work in SS. Just add a "nose" to the PR module and drill out the plug to accept the added nose.

Last edited:
Had to go back and rewatch it. It’s definitely leaking around the back. That seems like it would be concerning. It can’t seal well at all if that’s the case. I understand no rifle is perfect but that seems like a big deal for a rifle at this price point? Maybe I’m wrong.

One thing they didn’t show was retrieving the spent adapter. I also noticed the buildup of residue in the Breech area. They should wait until the bugs are worked out before it’s put on the market. Like Lewis says, good is not good enough if it can be made better. That goes for all manufacturers, not just CVA.

140 grns is hefty charge

I shoot BH at 160grs using Luke's Gen2 breech plug and modules with zero leaking. Shooting 200grs with the OEM plug of BP didn't leak when it was head spaced correctly.
Without going back and looking at it again, much closer, I think it was just twice that I noticed what appeared to be leaking at the breech.
I'll bet if Luke could get his hands on one, he'd fix that leaking quickly.

So not surprised it's a leaker.
Who would possibly believe you can seal stainless to stainless with a spring.

Variflame terrible choice and have to use reloading tools to prime .

And no carrier on boltface so you have to carry a priming tool.
Incredible.

I can't believe cva engineers aren't aware of the great ignition systems available in the custom muzzleloader community.

So bolt design wont allow for this gun to even make a good donor rifle.

Remington failed also but at least its a great donor rifle to build .

22 Hornet rim OD .350
223 rim OD .378

Luke had some LRMP modules based on 223 right? So it might still be a viable donor action?
asg262.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, it leaks, but not every time and nearly as much as the $2000+ Knight 500 with its supplied Red Full Plastic Jacket ignition. That is the only way you can buy that rifle.

Also take into consideration, this video was made back in June 2018 or earlier with a prototype rifle. They've had 7 months to improve on the production rifles that we haven't seen yet. Sounds like they made several shots, and the flame channel in the breech plug could have been filling up and needed cleaning out?

The Remington Ultimate cannot shoot Blackhorn 209 in its supplied configuration, without voiding your warranty. If you change to Luke's Ignition System, you also void your warranty.

I don't like the VariFlame any more than anyone else, but that is what they have chosen. Cecil must have gave them quite the sales pitch, and they bought it?

With that said, hate to sound like a broken record, but Luke or Hank will likely have a module and plug fix for this rifle. Then it will really shine!

Im seeing a chance a small mod to the bolt, possibly without any machining and a new plug or mod to the existing plug might be an option. Do away with the spring loaded thing in the center of the bolt completely. Possibly some type of bushing replacement or a bolt head IF its not one piece. Sure looks like there is enough meat on the bolt to handle a .028 change in module OD?

Or even the more simple solution. Change the 223 modules to .350 OD. We know that style works in other platforms. If the Variflame head spaces via spring it sounds like a bushing could replace the spring and head space set accordingly?????

I shoot BH at 160grs using Luke's Gen2 breech plug and modules with zero leaking. Shooting 200grs with the OEM plug of BP didn't leak when it was head spaced correctly.
Without going back and looking at it again, much closer, I think it was just twice that I noticed what appeared to be leaking at the breech.
I'll bet if Luke could get his hands on one, he'd fix that leaking quickly.
Yes but you always said yours was not production

Im seeing a chance a small mod to the bolt, possibly without any machining and a new plug or mod to the existing plug might be an option. Do away with the spring loaded thing in the center of the bolt completely. Possibly some type of bushing replacement or a bolt head IF its not one piece. Sure looks like there is enough meat on the bolt to handle a .028 change in module OD?

Or even the more simple solution. Change the 223 modules to .350 OD. We know that style works in other platforms. If the Variflame head spaces via spring it sounds like a bushing could replace the spring and head space set accordingly?????

Agree! It's not the end of the world, yet.

The rifle seems to be solid, they just needed some help in the ignition department. It's too bad they didn't get a clue somewhere along the line.

Someone will make it better!

Latest posts

Back