CVA Leaked the new Paramount Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a sucker for these Muzzle Loaders but I thinks this one is going to pass In the video he said a 400 yard rifle but no mention of how it groups unless I missed something. I believe this rifle will appeal to the weekend hunter one who doesn't want to go through all the converting I just had a converted it to Lukes breech plug when I first got it and no mention that BH-209 was a no no as soon as I can get to the range to see how it shoots if not to my liking I will rebarrel it.

I no in early testing , even with the breech leaking ( which I understand they have fixed) they reported sub Moa @ 300 yards

Cva should send Doug one for an honest review. Maybe that has been said already?

if what i heard is true , a good chance they will be at Friendship in June

The variflame system is known to leak. So I'm not buying that it's "fixed."

I remember 2-3 guys on Dougs tried them and even with a easy head spacing Savage type barrel getting them to seal well was problematic. Once they leak the gas cutting begins. I can just see the Paramount flash hole getting eaten alive by the leaky Variflames before you even notice gas cutting on the module or "primer pocket".

I can not see how that system will not leak . Especially with 140 grain loads . You just can not get two flat surfaces to seal . You need some sort of primer crush or some sort of module that is made of softer material with either the plug or module tapered .

Not at all saying the rifle will not be accurate but will need someone like Luke to come up with a better idea.

If I bought one I’d have it shipped to Jeff or Luke to develop a new ignition system & have a brake put on it as well as getting a drop & a die before I even see the gun.
Why they chose Epp to build the ignition is beyond me. They could have had it designed built right here in the USA. I can tell you that it wouldn’t require a tool in the field to remove the spent primer like it currently does.
Also maybe a 2 piece breech plug like Jeff made for the Knight rifles that eliminates the possibility of gas cutting from front sealing plugs.(assuming this is a front seal style)
That’s what I would do.

Latest posts

Back