Drill Bits for Breech Plugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.......... I had to put a wad of cotton in the primer hole while I put the powder in or the powder would run into the primer pocket.

Powder in the flame channel may create excess pressure on your primer/rifle.

Enlarging the flame channel to 5/32" often is beneficial. Enlarging the flash hole so that powder runs through, may be hazardous............

Thats why I bought a new one for loose powder. I was concerned that the back pressure could create excessive pressure against the breech. Not really sure about it but a new plug is cheaper than a new face.

I’d throw that breech plug in the trash. Better safe than sorry.

want me to send you my breach plug from my Wolf? The one I drilled out????
Thx, but ive still got a brand new one that i can work with. I want to see what a new one does then mod it a bit and see what effect each change has for better or worse. Wont be able to do anything til i have a range i can go to.

Enlarging the flash hole is what happens when you shoot too many times and we throw them out and buy a new one.(BP) Not a smart move to drill one out. The flash chamber between the primer and the flash hole is what gets CLEANED out. The drill bit is just used as a scraper to clean the carbon fouling out. NO metal is drilled in this procedure! :rolleyes:

Lehigh Defense shipped the BP-BP-C1 breech plug w/vent liner, and the pkg/4 spare vent liners to my address instead of to DOC White.

I received them yesterday, May 8, which was quick work considering I ordered them late in the day on May 6.

The only tools I was able to keep in my homelessness are my metric-oriented bicycle tools.

What size Allen wrench fits the vent liner? How much force is used to install the vent liner in the breech plug body?
Would a screwdriver Allen wrench with a ball end be sufficient? Perhaps apply a little Permatex 80632 thread sealant, and snug the vent liner into the breech plug body.

I'm flying blind here guys, and need all the help I can get.

Thanks.

Lehigh Defense shipped the BP-BP-C1 breech plug w/vent liner, and the pkg/4 spare vent liners to my address instead of to DOC White.

I received them yesterday, May 8, which was quick work considering I ordered them late in the day on May 6.

The only tools I was able to keep on my homelessness are my metric-oriented bicycle tools.

What size Allen wrench fits the vent liner? How much force is used to install the vent liner in the breech plug body?
Would a screwdriver Allen wrench with a ball end be sufficient? Perhaps apply a little Permatex 80632 thread sealant, and snug the vent liner into the breech plug body.

I'm flying blind here guys, and need all the help I can get.

Thanks.
I use either that thread sealant or HD antiseize on my liners. Allen wrench size is 7/64". A screwdriver type is great to install. Could get tight coming out. I use a multi size set of allens for ease of use.
.15890444718728750942795135185986.jpg

The Allen size is 7/64. Out of habit I put a very small amount of nickel antiseze on the ventliners threads. Shooting BH 209 wouldn’t need anything on the ventliner.

I use either that thread sealant or HD antiseize on my liners. Allen wrench size is 7/64". A screwdriver type is great to install. Could get tight coming out. I use a multi size set of allens for ease of use.
.View attachment 8889

I will probably buy both; a ball driver set for convience, and a folding set for leverage.

Actually, in my cycling tool box I have 3 sets of metric Allen wrenches.

Screwdriver ball end set
Folding set
Long arm set with ball ends

Latest posts

Back