Drill Bits for Breech Plugs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta admit, I really didn’t specify the details between the flash HOLE, and CHANNEL. While at it, even though I have the welding tip cleaner, I use it gently. It’s mostly just to ensure the flash hole is open. I have a pick for a side-lock nipple that does more or less the same thing.

Every so often people chime in on how they opened up the flash HOLE for better BH209 reliability in older plugs. Yeah it works until that plugs erodes twice as fast or more. So its pretty important to establish the difference between the HOLE and the CHANNEL. Enlarging one lowers peak pressure that reaches the primer. Enlarging the other increases it and shortens the life of the breach plug.

Larger flash CHANNEL between 1/8" and 5/32"=Good.
Flash HOLE over .035"=Bad.

This mostly applies to 209 plugs and non CF based actions. LRMP modules in a strong action can be vastly different.

Every so often people chime in on how they opened up the flash HOLE for better BH209 reliability in older plugs. Yeah it works until that plugs erodes twice as fast or more. So its pretty important to establish the difference between the HOLE and the CHANNEL. Enlarging one lowers peak pressure that reaches the primer. Enlarging the other increases it and shortens the life of the breach plug.

This mostly applies to 209 plugs and non CF based actions. LRMP modules in a strong action can be vastly different.

Just out of curiosity, what is the flash CHANNEL diameter for the Lehigh Defense QRBP with replaceable vent liners for BH209?

I won't be able to order mine until next week.

Thanks

3.1mm=0.122"

1/8"=0.125"

Do you just drill the flash CHANNEL out to 1/8" to fit the drill bit?

I wonder if opening up the flash channel past 5/32" would help lessen the crud ring from 777?

OK, so my new Lehigh Defense QRBP Breech Plug had a flash channel that measures 0.123" in diameter, and a flame channel in the replaceable vent liners that measures 0.030" in diameter.

I have purchased a General Tools 93 Adjustable Pin Vise, 0.040"-0.250"; to be used with the HSS 1/8" diameter drill bits (yet to be purchased), for cleaning out the flash channel (after it is opened up to 1/8").

Since I agree that putting a hardened steel tool into the 0.030" diameter flame channel makes no sense, I have been looking like crazy for a softer alternative.

0.75mm (0.0295") brass wire is available (Australia), but only in a soft form that comes in a coil. I think it is too soft to maintain a straight shape for very long.

The smallest piano wire (0.290") is available from McMaster-Carr, but it is hardened steel.

1mm (0.0394") diameter hard brass rod is available from multiple sources, and I guess I am going to sand some of it down in diameter to fit the 0.030" new flame channels of the vent liners that I purchased from Lehigh Defense.

I will purchase an inexpensive pin vise to hold the hard brass vent pick / flame channel rod.

I have also purchased off Amazon an Accusize Tools Set of Pin Gages ZZ grade, 50 pcs., 0.011"-0.060"; along with an Accusize Tools GO/NO GO Pin Gage Vise, 0.011"-0.060"

This will allow me to accurately check the erosion in the vent liner, and replace it when it reaches 0.035" in diameter.

The set of 50 pin gages were less expensive than the next cheapest alternative. Which were also ZZ grade pin gages. I was looking only to purchase gages from 0.030" to 0.035", plus the go/no go pin vise.

I saved about $7.00 buying the Accusize Tools gages & vise. Plus, I have the other 44 sizes of pin gages should I ever need them.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it is worth.... I have been shooting Lehigh BP's for at least 10 years now and to this day I have never used a metal object to probe a flash hole to clean it. I have soaked and cleaned the BP and I do push compressed air through the breech plug to clear the flash channel after cleaning. I do use a wood toothpick to clean and clear the input area of the Vent Liner.

I do use a Pin Gage to check flash hole size at given intervals to determine erosion but even then I use a pin smaller than the actually size needed.

For what it is worth.... I have been shooting Lehigh BP's for at least 10 years now and to this day I have never used a metal object to probe a flash hole to clean it. I have soaked and cleaned the BP and I do push compressed air through the breech plug to clear the flash channel after cleaning. I do use a wood toothpick to clean and clear the input area of the Vent Liner.

I do use a Pin Gage to check flash hole size at given intervals to determine erosion but even then I use a pin smaller than the actually size needed.

When I shot flintlocks I just used a piece of hard brass wire glued into a piece of deer antler tine to clear the touch hole before EVERY shot. Just before I primed the pan, closed the frizzen, cocked the hammer, and pulled the trigger.

As a result, I almost never had a hangfire.

Can a toothpick be used in the same manner on my, new to me, Optima V2 pistol? When I get it from DOC White, and LR Customs?

Honestly - I really do not know about much about a touch hole on a rock sparker. As far as the flash or touch hole in a vent liner I just have never had a problem with them.

I guess the question I need to ask is how often while firing a series of shots with your particular inline rifle/pistol, do you use a tool to prick the flash hole/channel in the breech plug? To keep it clear enough that there will be NO HANGFIRES?

Is it every shot?

I know what type of a routine that I had established for shooting a flintlock longrifle.

What I am trying to determine from my fellow forum members is a routine that will stand me in good company when I take the Optima V2 pistol to the range for the very first time.

After the first shot, what are the CRITICAL STEPS that must be taken EVERY SHOT to ensure that a shooter will have as trouble free a range session as possible?

I will be shooting BH209 in the V2 pistol as my first ever inline. I am trying to limit my potential mistakes on a fixed income.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess the question I need to ask is how often while firing a series of shots with your particular inline rifle/pistol, do you use a tool to prick the flash hole/channel in the breech plug? To keep it clear enough that there will be NO HANGFIRES?

I usually shoot 20 - 25 shots at a range session and I never clean the flash hole of the vent liner. Maybe I should also say I am shooting either T7 or BH powder neither of which seem to plug the flash hole. Now the flash channel that can be a problem depending on the primer you might be using. I use to say to clean the flash channel after maybe 15 shots. I never remove the BP I just use my 'bit on stick' and turn it through the channel to the vent liner.

Is it every shot?

I know what type of a routine that I had established for shooting a flintlock longrifle.

What I am trying to determine from my fellow forum members is a routine that will stand me in good company when I take the Optima V2 pistol to the range for the very first time.

I really can't speak to your CVA product.

After the first shot, what are the CRITICAL STEPS that must be taken EVERY SHOT to ensure that a shooter will have as trouble free a range session as possible?

I will be shooting BH209 in the V2 pistol as my first ever inline. I am trying to limit my potential mistakes on a fixed income.

If you are planning on shooting BH you really should have very few problems other than the beginners 'hick-ups' that might appear. As to often you might need to work the flash channel with the CVA plug - again I do not know for sure.

I usually shoot 20 - 25 shots at a range session and I never clean the flash hole of the vent liner. Maybe I should also say I am shooting either T7 or BH powder neither of which seem to plug the flash hole. Now the flash channel that can be a problem depending on the primer you might be using. I use to say to clean the flash channel after maybe 15 shots. I never remove the BP I just use my 'bit on stick' and turn it through the channel to the vent liner.

I really can't speak to your CVA product.

If you are planning on shooting BH you really should have very few problems other than the beginners 'hick-ups' that might appear. As to often you might need to work the flash channel with the CVA plug - again I do not know for sure.

Thanks for your answers.

I've never had a flash hole plug up while shooting. I also don't use any tools to clean the flash hole, I just check to make sure any solvent or carbon from cleaning the breech plug didn't make it's way in the hole, and if any did, a puff of air usually cleans it out.

The flash channel is a different story. Depending on flash channel size, what primer is used, how many shots fired, you may need to clean that at the range. I usually have several muzzleloaders with me at the range so one rifle may get shot 10 times. That's not enough for me to clean it at the range but if I shot more than that, I may pull the breech plug and run a hand turned drill bit into the flash channel to clean it out.

If you plan on shooting a lot, clean the flash channel out and see how much carbon your getting in the flash channel. Maybe do it after 5 shots, then 10, see if there is much of a difference. Just make sure you can see daylight through the flash hole before installing the plug, I also like to fire a primer off after doing that to make sure the hole is clear.

I wonder if opening up the flash channel past 5/32" would help lessen the crud ring from 777?
For me it did not. I took my breech plug for pellets (from my Wolf)) and drilled it out wholesale. To the point where The loose powder was falling through the hole to the primer when I was loading. The plug still worked great but still had a crud ring.

Hope I was able to make a meaningful contribution here.

For me it did not. I took my breech plug for pellets (from my Wolf)) and drilled it out wholesale. To the point where The loose powder was falling through the hole to the primer when I was loading. The plug still worked great but still had a crud ring.

Hope I was able to make a meaningful contribution here.
Did you open the flash hole, too? Im thinking about a big long channel and a small flash hole.

yes I did. Seriously, I had to put a wad of cotton in the primer hole while I put the powder in or the powder would run into the primer pocket.

I wonder if the bigger flash hole is contributing to the crud ring. I may dig up an old breech plug and mod it to see what effect a big channel and tiny hole have on crud ring.

Latest posts

Back