New CVA “Paramount” Long Range Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sabinajiles said:
Another big question is exactly how big is the bore? Is it closer to .458 or a .450? This will make a difference on sizing third party bullets. It also will probably not be possible to get a barrel drop for a full form die.

Common 45cal ML bores are basically a 45/70 barrel. .450 lands and .458 grooves. My old 45cal Accura was closer to .452 lands though and from the many reviews ive seen of CVA conversions they have been around .451 lands. So i would imagine the new 45s will be close to .451 lands. Thats great for guys wanting to shoot land riders but not ideal for HLB sabots.

What i would like to know is the number of lands. Ive seen 45cal barrels ranging from 5R to 8 groove. Again its not a huge deal for land riders but i prefer a 8 groove barrel for sabots.

GM54-120 said:
This kinda kills it for me.
Weight 9.8 LBS
Ouch, that might be why they opted not to include a ramrod. From the looks, I was hoping for a lighter hunting weight.
I believe my K500 weighed just over 10# w/o scope.

so its going to weigh 11-12# depending on what type scope you put on it, definitely not a walk around gun might be alright if you were hunting from a shooting house or blind and didn't have to carry it much.

It appears to be designed as a bench rifle, to bad they chose to use a none sealing ignition. We will know more about the barrel after friendship next year.

I can see this being an “alternate” muzzleloader if I want to hunt my shooting house that is over a large bean/corn field. I can take my trusty generation 1 CVA Accura if I’m going to be hunting the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would rather spend that kind loot on an ultra lite fast twist 45

dwm said:
I would rather spend that kind loot on an ultra lite fast twist 45
I agree, I'm a little disappointed.

I just weighed a few Knight 45's.
DISC 45 1:20 w/laminated T hole NO SCOPE - 7.5#
2 - Mountaineer's 45's 1:20 & 1:30, both scoped - 9.7#
K500 - with scope - 11.9#

Any using any of the .45 caliber Knights with 140 grain BH209 powder charges? I’m looking to see if there is a comparable option to the CVA Paramount.

I suspect if anyone is using 140 gr. load of BH209 they won't post about it much. The max load for most factory guns is 120 grains with the exceptions being the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader, the Ultimate Firearms muzzleloader and now the Paramount. There's some other customs out there but I don't believe that's relevant here.

UTGrad said:
Any using any of the .45 caliber Knights with 140 grain BH209 powder charges? I’m looking to see if there is a comparable option to the CVA Paramount.
You don't need it

I wonder if this Rifle will make the Match at Friendship called The Knight Rifle

GM54, you just need to carry around one of our 15-17# rigs for a little while then 9.8 doesn't feel too bad.

They noted that the variflame system is patented? That's news to me.

GM54, you just need to carry around one of our 15-17# rigs for a little while then 9.8 doesn't feel too bad.

They noted that the variflame system is patented? That's news to me.

Well mine is not that heavy but maybe you remember it. I bought it from you before you started ASG or right near the beginning. My NULA 26" barrel on the other hand is about 7lbs with scope. So there isnt much of a chance i would be interested in a 9.8lb bare rifle thats a smoker.

Sure, but how long before someone converts one of these to a smokeless?

No need to wait for it if anyone wanted to do a conversion. Just buy a B-14 HMR and have at it. Its the same price at Cabelas. Ive seen the HMR as low as $900ish.

Latest posts

Back