Northern precision bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All right this is a five shot group of the bonded version at 102 yards 64 grains of 4198 Krieger 1 and 18 twist,,, this is sick shots same punk bullet that was in the other group jumped into this one,,, five bullets in a pretty decent group for a hunting bullet

Attachments

• IMG_20220122_142957446.jpg
    IMG_20220122_142957446.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 5
Actually six shots the bullet to the right and it tore some of the paper in between the group of five five in the group one of them got away from me six total

One thing to note the northern precision site shows the bullets at 452 I find them 451 I don't think they're going to work in anybody's Paramount or MRX but if you have an American made 1 in 20 twist , 1 in 18 an I would sure give the bullets a try especially the pointed tip Target,, they might shoot in a 1 in 24 to us too I'm not sure..

This was from last week. -5 degrees. Parker 310 Black Max. H4198. 100 yds and he was probably shivering. No wads, just a sized bullet.
Around 60 grains H4198 with this 310 sized bullet puts you around the max pressure I recommend (45 kpsi).
Nice! I got some of them 310gr Black Max hollow base bullets to test in my Paramount.

I've got a new 1 and 18 twist Brux barrel that's been puzzling to me so far I know every once in awhile you get a barrel that's a little different,, every Pittman bullet I've shot in it is only shot around 3/4 to 1 in,, even my much loved 300 grain aeromax,,, I went back again this weekend and shot the northern precision bullet which it shoots in a hole and of course it did the same thing again,, I continue to be impressed with that bullet, I'm fixing to try all the fury bullets in the one in 18 Brux,, I've got to get some more of Northern precisions bonded version that did so well in the bullet test . What's the world coming to when you complain about a three-quarter inch load? Well hopefully it's coming to one single hole! I won't settle for anything less and yes some days I can't do what the gun can.

I've got a new 1 and 18 twist Brux barrel that's been puzzling to me so far I know every once in awhile you get a barrel that's a little different,, every Pittman bullet I've shot in it is only shot around 3/4 to 1 in,, even my much loved 300 grain aeromax,,, I went back again this weekend and shot the northern precision bullet which it shoots in a hole and of course it did the same thing again,, I continue to be impressed with that bullet, I'm fixing to try all the fury bullets in the one in 18 Brux,, I've got to get some more of Northern precisions bonded version that did so well in the bullet test . What's the world coming to when you complain about a three-quarter inch load? Well hopefully it's coming to one single hole! I won't settle for anything less and yes some days I can't do what the gun can.
Have you shot the XLD's?

No,, as quick as I work through fury bullets that will be next, it is the first brux barrel that has not shot Pittman's,, 275 300 and 325 all about the same 3/4 to an inch,, no matter what the charge was starting at 60 grains and working up in .5 increments to 70. If it keeps up I'll probably pull the brake and re-crown the barrel just for grins

No,, as quick as I work through fury bullets that will be next, it is the first brux barrel that has not shot Pittman's,, 275 300 and 325 all about the same 3/4 to an inch,, no matter what the charge was starting at 60 grains and working up in .5 increments to 70. If it keeps up I'll probably pull the brake and re-crown the barrel just for grins
My brux is a 1-20 and I am shooting the 275 Pittmans with 75gr H4198 under 1/2" @ 100 and 300 Accu or Aeromaxes with 72 gr H4198 same grouping from a 25" barrel + brake. Maybe hit them a little harder? Also I spoke with the gent at Northern precision bullets and he claime d a bc that I seriously don't believe possible from a 45cal of that weight but I may give some a try myself am curious to see how they will do out to 400yds.

I'm a big pitman bullet fan,,, the particular rifle I'm shooting I was trying to stay in much milder charges even though my barrel can handle the heavier charges that you shoot,,, I had this rifle built to eventually go and compete with a heavy blackhorn charge so I'm trying to stay in a much lower velocity range with the smokeless powders to somewhat mimic the lower velocities of a heavy Black Horn load. I'm going to try to stay focused on the milder charges with that purpose in mind

Copper jacket is only .12 thickness. Not thick enough for me in my smokeless muzzleloader for performance on game for as hard as we push them. Im sure they would be great in smokers. I will stick with the Fury or Pittman hardcore.

I stocked up on them for target shooting rather than hunting at $0.40 a piece I just cannot argue with them considering the accuracy out of different barrels all shot less than a half inch three of those barrels they just shot a hole. I'm going to buy a lot more of them again just for future Target work you start pricing a quality bullet around the country right now and I think this bullet is a deal I continue to shoot a lot of fury and Pittman's too .

I had one outing with them so far and after figuring out how my gun/barrel wanted to shoot them, they produced an impressive group. It was the last 3 shot group of the day so I am wanting to give them another go before a final determination. That being said They do show promise so far as what I have seen. Not much bearing surface on these bullets didn't measure but seems about 3/16 to 1/4" and my SS ramrod pushes them down easily by itself. Next time out maybe Sat. or Mon. I will have a better idea of performance in my rifle.

Last edited:
I stocked up on them for target shooting rather than hunting at $0.40 a piece I just cannot argue with them considering the accuracy out of different barrels all shot less than a half inch three of those barrels they just shot a hole. I'm going to buy a lot more of them again just for future Target work you start pricing a quality bullet around the country right now and I think this bullet is a deal I continue to shoot a lot of fury and Pittman's too .
I totally agree be a great target bullet.

Managed to get a little bit of shooting in this afternoon I just ran another five shot group of the northern precision sharp point this is 62 grains by weight of 4198 got a pretty good constant wind blowing right to left four shots or just a little bit under 3 in and then I pulled the one down on the bottom easy to do sometimes. Still pretty good for a $0.40 bullet was 35 cent a month ago

Attachments

• IMG_20220403_152157303.jpg
    IMG_20220403_152157303.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1
I had not shot the northern precision 400 grain bullet smokeless I've tried it in a sabot and a 26 twist barrel which it didn't do real great okay Tom tested this bullet and showed a decent expansion this is 57 grains of 4198 Imr in a 18 twist Brux heavy barrel heavy shank Target smokeless rifle,, this show some promise for big jacketed lead!

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_183802293_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220626_183802293_HDR.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
Back