Northern precision bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting here now looking at my group I should have held just a little bit of wind,, I've got to re-flag the range too watch the wind a little better I tend to when I'm practicing muscle load and just sit down and get after it when you get out past 300 yards you can't do that, I'm kind of up in a tunnel in the woods when the bullet gets out about 150 yards it hits the broad open world and it messes with me. But it just helps me get better I like shooting in changing conditions and wind
How much wind do you figure?

I haven't settled on a load and shot that rifle enough to know,, until I get settled on my load I don't know that I'm going to consider spin drift,, but time is coming that I have to consider it, encore ,how do you figure drift at 400 500,600,, can you do it with mathematics,bc, velocity?? and numbers, or is it something you have to physically figure out shooting? And maybe for some of us if you briefly explain what is spin drift is and it's effects at longer distances. Of course the very name seems definitive enough there might be some people that don't understand .

:) Spin drift is caused by the twist in our barrels. Due to the right hand twist, the nose of the bullet tends to offset slightly to the right during flight. Even under zero wind conditions, the bullet will impact to the right of center. The further the distance, the more spin drift affects the bullets path.

I use JBM to calculate a close calculation and its a very useful tool as are most ballistic programs. All the data that you need to create a ballistic chart in a program is required (fps, BC, etc), plus actual bullet measurements. You need the OA bullet length and also the tip length (ogive).

When I use JBM and want to know the spin drift, I do not use any wind data. In other words the wind factor is set to zero. That separates spin drift and eliminates the wind factor. If one wants to use the wind factor, just put the figure into the program and the output will consider both wind and spin.

JBM - Calculations - Trajectory (Drift) (jbmballistics.com)

Here's my actual chart shooting the 300gr Arrowhead XLD bullet and Benchmark. There is zero wind in the calculation.
So at 600yds, I have to allow 3/4moa strictly because of bullet spin drift.

Benchmark 88grs 2894fps with spin drift.JPG

Thats some pretty good shooting considering the wind gust factor! I see the green in the background pics. And envy you, we just got 14" of snow, qind is nasty and its colder than all get out.. looks like the garage window is going to be my bench for awhile. Thanks for all the informative post. Keep up the good work....

My purpose for this post is just to highlight that bullet,, wind got the better of me today,, it'll make me a better shooter tomorrow. Easy to get all excited when you shoot a really good group ,, getting to know both rifle and bullets,,, mostly just going to utilize shooting thousands of bullets to get me where I need to be with my load.,, I hope,, I really like the rifle and the bullet..

Was just on Woodsman patriot web sight and it specificaly states DO NOT USE SMOKELESS POWDER in their muzzleloaders.I thought they were rated for smokeless powder?Where is everyone getting their information about shooting smokeless powder in these muzzleloaders?Think I might stick to the cva scout converted from Hankins.
Our 50 calibers are not rated for smokeless. Our 45 is, even though the warnings say not too. It is to cover me from people doing bad things - for now.

Is that a patriot? 45 cal., If so what twist? Is that the imr4198? Or h4198, can this powder take the cold weather? Say to around 0 degrees centigrade. Thank you. Please bless us with the 400 yd. Group, as the 102 was excellent, kudos. ..
This was from last week. -5 degrees. Parker 310 Black Max. H4198. 100 yds and he was probably shivering. No wads, just a sized bullet.
Around 60 grains H4198 with this 310 sized bullet puts you around the max pressure I recommend (45 kpsi).

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 9
Mnt Monkey,
I assume that you are smooth sizing these bullets and I just wondered what that process has been like. Do they have issues with spring back ? How many times are you running them thru the die?

This was from last week. -5 degrees. Parker 310 Black Max. H4198. 100 yds and he was probably shivering. No wads, just a sized bullet.
Around 60 grains H4198 with this 310 sized bullet puts you around the max pressure I recommend (45 kpsi).
That's some pretty great shooting for those kind of temps!

Yes I was smooth sizing, I run them through my die three times,, I do not have any spring back from the northern precision bullets so far also had none with fury bullets,,, I have to say though I very rarely size anything that I'm not fixing to shoot within the next 30 minutes or hour when when you can walk from your shooting loading area 10 ft out the back door to shoot I don't need the size a bunch of bullets and let them sit around. I've got in a habit of running all my smooth sized bullets three times through the die,, I know many do more.

We also shot, or tried to shoot, IMR the prior week when it was 20 deg f. Not good. I would avoid the IMR and use H if you want 4198 in cold weather
That's good to know, I saw some IMR the other day and passed on picking it up, now I'm glad I did. I will hold out for the H4198 if it ever comes available.

I shot the pointed tip Northern precision this afternoon different rifle, Krieger barrel one in 18 twists,, this is 64 grains of h4198 distances 102 yd,, North wind not that it matters a whole lot at 100 yards plus kind of up in a tunnel ,this is six shots that old punk bullet on the right got away ,,, 2 Brux barrels,one Wilson barrel ,one Douglas barrel ,and now this Krieger have all done this at 100. Five different barrels,, first powder charges tried .

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_171513768_MP.jpg
    IMG_20220121_171513768_MP.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back