PREFIT BARRELS & IGNITION SYSTEMS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason i hope you got a sense of humor . We burned up a Bunch of thread havin fun . (Guys did you see ALL that !!) Pretty good non-sense wasnt it , lol ?? We try , we really do....:thumb:

Same here. The only SML that gets hunting duty for me is the NULA. Its not much fun on the bench but a joy to carry. I want hunting rifles to be well under 10lbs ready to go if possible. The NULA comes in under 8lbs. Pushing 225gr-275gr bullets over 2200fps with ease the recoil is not that bad. A 275gr at 2400fps though gets your attention in a sub 8lb rifle.

Same here. The only SML that gets hunting duty for me is the NULA. Its not much fun on the bench but a joy to carry. I want hunting rifles to be well under 10lbs ready to go if possible. The NULA comes in under 8lbs. Pushing 225gr-275gr bullets over 2200fps with ease the recoil is not that bad. A 275gr at 2400fps though gets your attention.
Gets deerz attention too !!!

That's exactly what I'm looking for,, it doesn't have to be smokeless I'll shoot black horn in it , to me and this is just my old dumb country brain ,, we need a smokeless powder or a powder similar to Black Horn that will achieve 22 to 2400 feet per second and the pressures remain low,, I'm sure there's people on here that know the blackhorn powder manufacturers,, we need innovation in powders,, a hybrid blackhorn smokeless powder capable of a lot higher velocities producing lower pressure it's okay to dream isn't it,, and someone build a six-and-a-half 7-pound rifle

Same here. The only SML that gets hunting duty for me is the NULA. Its not much fun on the bench but a joy to carry. I want hunting rifles to be well under 10lbs ready to go if possible. The NULA comes in under 8lbs. Pushing 225gr-275gr bullets over 2200fps with ease the recoil is not that bad. A 275gr at 2400fps though gets your attention in a sub 8lb rifle.
Thats why i kinda been thinking a 40 . The weight/recoil factor along with range . Bullets are slippery (300gr or so) so the extra bc will really pay off with a lighter contour/overall weight and a lighter charge . I just really want contour/twist/weight /range mapped out first . Trying for as light as possible at least within my budget . Not easy .

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'm looking for,, it doesn't have to be smokeless I'll shoot black horn in it , to me and this is just my old dumb country brain ,, we need a smokeless powder or a powder similar to Black Horn that will achieve 22 to 2400 feet per second and the pressures remain low,, I'm sure there's people on here that know the blackhorn powder manufacturers,, we need innovation in powders,, a hybrid blackhorn smokeless powder capable of a lot higher velocities producing lower pressure it's okay to dream isn't it,, and someone build a six-and-a-half 7-pound rifle
Woodman Arms , iirc is less than 6lb and smokeless capable within reason . He's got smokless plugs anyway he said .

I'm not happy with any of my smokeless rigs to carry and hunt all day with not to mention to soggy rainy conditions at times,I won't mind if it's recoil is brutal because I'm only going to shoot it once or twice in a hunting situation I'm not going to notice that I have considered a titanium action from Pierce but just the action is $1,300 that's insane, or a little mini Howa 223 since there's 223 modules available, anyway good luck I'm still working on that gun

I'm not happy with any of my smokeless rigs to carry and hunt all day with not to mention to soggy rainy conditions at times,I won't mind if it's recall is brutal because I'm only going to shoot it once or twice in a hunting situation I'm not going to notice that I have considered a titanium action from Pierce but just the action is $1,300 that's insane, or a little mini Howa 223 since there's 223 modules available, anyway good luck I'm still working on that gun
That Woodman is really looking good but i want a bolt gun . Besides i like building something . IDK if it will be worth it though . I HOPE !!!

That Woodman is really looking good but i want a bolt gun . Besides i like building something . IDK if it will be worth it though . I HOPE !!!
A Rem just has so Many things available for tbem . Like said , i got it figured for weight pretty tolerable at this point . Another 1/2 pound or so and im all in . A chrome moly nitrided would help as it can be a bit lighter too .

Last edited:
A Rem just has so Many things available for tbem . Like said , i got it figured for weight pretty tolerable at this point . Another 1/2 pound or so and im all in .
I DONT want a scope to see Mars with either . I LOVE 1.5 x 6 or so , even for hunting at 5 or 6 hundred yds . Done that for years with a 300 mag .

The lightest cheaper action im aware of is the Savage 11/16 lightweight hunter. Another is the Howa mini action but you would need someone to make you up a barrel for that and you would need to use 223 based LRMP modules. A old Rem600/660 might be doable also and they did make those in 308 so modules are no biggie. Its probably not much lighter than a 700SA?

Around $600-800 for the Savage in a .473 case head.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852851975

The lightest cheaper action im aware of is the Savage 11/16 lightweight hunter. Another is the Howa mini action but you would need someone to make you up a barrel for that and you would need to use 223 based LRMP modules. A old Rem600/660 might be doable also and they did make those in 308 so modules are no biggie. Its probably not much lighter than a 700SA?

Around $600-800 for the Savage in a .473 case head.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/852851975
What i got now is the 700ml and ive seen 1 with a 4"shank shouldered , 45 ,sendaro , 25" , bell&carlson mtn ti mag contour stock @ 7lb 11oz . For a 45 a #6 would drop it a bit more . Possible a hair lighter contour for a 40 with maybe a Remange would put me on targeted weight i figure .

Last edited:
got a brand new mini sitting here I've had four of those little mini howa's I really really like them,there's a gentleman I think it's MGM barrels that makes a barrel nut barrel for a mini Hawa if I could get him to install one of Luke's or Hanks plugs and then I headspace it myself I would head right down the road, like I said it can be a black horn rifle that's fine

got a brand new mini sitting here I've had four of those little mini howa's I really really like them,there's a gentleman I think it's MGM barrels that makes a barrel nut barrel for a mini Hawa if I could get him to install one of Luke's or Hanks plugs and then I headspace it myself I would head right down the road, like I said it can be a black horn rifle that's fine
Cool !!! Id kinda like a all out capable bh209 / reduced smokeless rifle . Savage ability with smokeless is fine as i cant hunt with smokeless anyway . Sure can practice though ALOT cheaper !!!

Back