PREFIT BARRELS & IGNITION SYSTEMS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if the gun would handle real mild smokeless loads that is fun but I just seen it be dedicated to nothing but a real Stout blackhorn load

if the gun would handle real mild smokeless loads that is fun but I just seen it be dedicated to nothing but a real Stout blackhorn load
For me a max blackhorn one . I just am gettin tired of 50 bucks for 10oz to practice with . Tired of sabots too for summer !!! Crampin my fun i want over with !!! A well thought out build just seems to be the answer .

A Mini Howa SML (sabot only) and sabotless BH209 rig might be super cool. SML sabot loads are fairly mild even at over 2500fps. I think my hottest N120 sabot load is barely hitting 34kpsi and its a screamer.

A Mini Howa SML (sabot only) and sabotless BH209 rig might be super cool. SML sabot loads are fairly mild even at over 2500fps. I think my hottest N120 sabot load is barely hitting 34kpsi and its a screamer.
This for your Savage GM54--120 ; a 45 ??

Yes, ive shot upto 60gr of N120 and a 200gr SST with a Harvester light blue sabot. That load clocks over 2700fps. More like 2800fps actually. 63gr of Re7 is also another good load but its much slower. Its also way less peak pressure. You will gain some fps with LRMP so you can probably go down to 55gr of N120 and still get great speed.

Savage MLII small shank and a Pacnor 45 barrel

Yes, ive shot upto 60gr of N120 and a 200gr SST with a Harvester light blue sabot. That load clocks over 2700fps. More like 2800fps actually. 63gr of Re7 is also another good load but its much slower. Its also way less peak pressure. You will gain some fps with LRMP so you can probably go down to 55gr of N120 and still get great speed.

Savage MLII small shank and a Pacnor 45 barrel
Think it would work for a bore ridin 40 ???

40s can produce some serious pressure spikes if you are not careful....but for BH209....yep. Doug was breaking over 2400fps with a 225gr or 250gr 40cal sabotless using BH209. Seems like he said it was only 84gr by weight and shooting either Pittmans or Fury bullets. I really doubt that load is anywhere near 40kpsi but ive never seen any traces done.

I'm going to do it I'm just going to have to find the right gunsmith to help me like I said if I could get somebody to install the breech plug and barrel nut I can headspace and put the gun together and stock it myself

40s can produce some serious pressure spikes if you are not careful....but for BH209....yep. Doug was breaking over 2400fps with a 225gr or 250gr 40cal sabotless using BH209. Seems like he said it was only 84gr by weight and shooting either Pittmans or Fury bullets. I really doubt that load is anywhere near 40kpsi but ive never seen any traces done.
From what ive read from the smokless alternative forum (great info sourse) i believe i can do that too . Ive seen RBinAR 's thinking and i really can follow along and i like that thinking of his . Is he still on here ??

Last edited:
I'm going to do it I'm just going to have to find the right gunsmith to help me like I said if I could get somebody to install the breech plug and barrel nut I can headspace and put the gun together and stock it myself
That really shouldnt be hard to find a smith to do that AT ALL !!! Thats a piece of cake really !!!

Let's build it, I'll approach that MGM company about installing a plug and barrel nut and I'll headspace it myself save a little money,, it's this year's project and one of those Paramount 50 cal

Let's build it, I'll approach that MGM company about installing a plug and barrel nut and I'll headspace it myself save a little money,, it's this year's project and one of those Paramount 50 cal
Cool !!! Im gettin my ducks in a row too !!!

You got a lite stock ??

Boyd's makes some nice stocks for that mini B,,has a cheap plastic stock for $89 there's not a true ultralight stock made for that gun right now I think I would just settle with one of the boyds wood laminates I would have to study that 40 cal a little bit more I've always been afraid of it and smokeless a little bit because of the pressure issues but shooting blackhorn that shouldn't be a problem

Boyd's makes some nice stocks for that mini B,,has a cheap plastic stock for $89 there's not a true ultralight stock made for that gun right now I think I would just settle with one of the boyds wood laminates I would have to study that 40 cal a little bit more I've always been afraid of it and smokeless a little bit because of the pressure issues but shooting blackhorn that shouldn't be a problem
Thats truly my main concern is bh209 truthfully . I have a 410 super 91 White that i made a plug for w vent and used a magspark s.rifle primer conversion nipple on . I also used a 410 shotgun wad(winchester) with a hand swedged .388 dia and 330gr lead bullet . With 85grW of bh209 it was an absolute flat line ripper !!! 1 in 16 twist was about perfect for it too . I just got tired of the primer change NIGHTMARE and having to make all the other stuff too . By golly "Mighty Whitey" would flat out SHOOT though !!!

Look up ballistic terminal research out of new zealand . They make a resin stock stiffener thats available out of canada . Mix that with some of those hollow plastic beads and not only will it be stiff and pretty darn stable but it will float !!! Thats pretty nice for a hunting rifle to be able to do !!! Pretty inexpensive stuff and lite !!! One of my A--Bolt stocks are done like this and that plastic flexi--flyer is now stiff as can be !!! Well worth the $40 i put into it !!! May do the 700ml factory stock too to cut cost for now . The b&c mtn ti is only 1.8lbs though with an aluminum block !!! That is Nice !!!

Last edited:
Back