stuck breech plug on old LK-93

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
bought a old LK-93 with rusted barrel, the guy told me the plug wasnt stuck but found out that to be untrue... soaked the plug from muzzle end w/Kroil penetrating oil for 3 days and it finally made it all the way through the threads and started seeping out from the opposite side.. long story short I still cant break it loose, took it to 2 different machine shops and they both told me they couldnt do anything for me...
I know a bunch of guys have gotten them loose w/other methods, please post whats worked for you other then using the Knight tool w/breaker bar etc.. thanks ahead of time and if I cant get it loose will jut continue using it and cleaning with nipple out, hate to junk it as its very accurate even with slightly pitted barrel.

Try heating the barrel on the stove or blow torch and then see if you can break it free.
A vice then blow torch may work for you.

I had an LK93 with a stuck BP and it took several days with Kroll oil in the barrel. One tip I got here was to tap/hit the BP either with an impact wrench or by hitting on the end of a socket/socket extension to help loosen the BP (which is what I did and it helped). I also took the barrel off the stock and secured it in a vice when working on it.

bigge_al said:
Try heating the barrel on the stove or blow torch and then see if you can break it free.
A vice then blow torch may work for you.

Not trying to make anyone here feel bad but before putting that torch to it make 100% sure that the gun isn't loaded or that there is powder in it. The LK93 I mentioned above came to me loaded with powder and bullet and a stuck BP.

wrong forum

sorry meant to post this in the in line forum... Ive tried heating plug with a torch(unloaded)until I couldnt touch barrel, also tapped on it although not very hard.. will try again though.

what to consider also is.. once it is out, are the threads going to be in good condition? I have had them stuck. I put the breech end in boiling water and boiled it until it was real hot, threw it in a vice, tapped it with a hammer to shock it, got a tool on it and forced it out. Then I spent hours, cleaning the rifle threads and replaced the breech plug with a new one.

plug

Ive got a new plug for it if I can get it out, have to go pick it up from a friend who took it to a buddys machine shop that couldnt do anything for it then will mess with it, been putting it in a vice also not trying to do it by holding it by hand.

cayuga said:
what to consider also is.. once it is out, are the threads going to be in good condition? I have had them stuck. I put the breech end in boiling water and boiled it until it was real hot, threw it in a vice, tapped it with a hammer to shock it, got a tool on it and forced it out. Then I spent hours, cleaning the rifle threads and replaced the breech plug with a new one.

It's a shame the gun was treated like that. Some guys shouldn't own guns.

agree

definetly agree with this statement...I was taught when you use a weapon you clean it immediately after use, some guys I know dont clean theirs until they get ready to check the zero for next hunting season.

Muley Hunter said:
It's a shame the gun was treated like that. Some guys shouldn't own guns.

Back in 2002 I had a stuck plug on a savage 10ml when using 777.I called
both savage and hodgdon to get answers.Hodgdon advised that using petroleum based solvent could actually make the problem worse with 777(they also denied that 777 was any worse than any other powder for sticking plugs,which since has been proven to be false though).I had been soaking for 2 weeks with different penetrating oils with no luck.I cleaned out the oil filled bore with TC#13 and the next morning plug came out EASY. I think the boiling water trick is your best bet if anything will work.

Latest posts

Back