Traditions Thunder Mag, T7 and musket caps?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50fps

Reaction score
I've had this gun sitting around for awhile since going inline, and after reading the owners manual it states that it will handle a charge of 150 grains of pyrodex pellets. Now I'm sure that T7 is a bit harder to ignite, but will the musket cap ignition be enough to set off 2 pellets (100 grains)?

I've had this gun sitting around for awhile since going inline, and after reading the owners manual it states that it will handle a charge of 150 grains of pyrodex pellets. Now I'm sure that T7 is a bit harder to ignite, but will the musket cap ignition be enough to set off 2 pellets (100 grains)?
I dont know , but a magspark 209 nipple is really popular in n.c. ohio where my cousins are . They shoot blackhorn !!! In sidelocks !!!

I would not chance a T7 pellet in a sidelock. Pyro pellets have a dark "igniter" end that is supposed to make them easier to ignite.

I just put a magspark on a white mountain carbine sidle lock and shot bh209 in it. Worked flawlessly. I know #11s will light t7 and if #11 caps will light t7 than musket caps ought to as well. I shoot t7 in my Ruger Old Army revolver with #11s and never had a mis or hang fire.

I just put a magspark on a white mountain carbine sidle lock and shot bh209 in it. Worked flawlessly. I know #11s will light t7 and if #11 caps will light t7 than musket caps ought to as well. I shoot t7 in my Ruger Old Army revolver with #11s and never had a mis or hang fire.
Beautiful muzzy !!! Good news for a range report , i like it !!! I bet you do too !!! Lol....yep !!!

It was a blast.

This was WAY back when I thought about trying BH209 in a Sidelock with a Magspark in it. I was looking to Shoot a BIG Bullet Long Range. Read Post #23 Busta’s Post, That was Enough for me to Decide against messing with it.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/ml-cleaner-for-bh209.31261/page-2

This was the Muzzleloader i was gonna do this in, Til i got the above info. You can see the Magspark in it
Y2q3eiUl.jpg

I will take that under advisement. Im not shooting big heavy lead in this carbine, 1:48 twist. I shot a few goulds at 346grn on 50grv of the bh209. But its mainly gonna shoot 200grn sst or shockwaves on 60-65grv. Its a sweet 50 yard tree stand gun for me. Im also shootin the swiss and goex in it with #11s.

I will take that under advisement. Im not shooting big heavy lead in this carbine, 1:48 twist. I shot a few goulds at 346grn on 50grv of the bh209. But its mainly gonna shoot 200grn sst or shockwaves on 60-65grv. Its a sweet 50 yard tree stand gun for me. Im also shootin the swiss and goex in it with #11s.
I would think youd be fine . Your not pushing it at all . Me , i PUSHED IT , but im not a sidelock either . My cousins in ohio shoot 100 to 120 grV of blackhorn with 240 to 250gr bullet/sabots . For years !!! Im NOT RECOMMENDING IT , just sayin it . I would at least change the thing out a few times already . They havent . It will shoot 200 yds too or more . Even out of a tree .

For cleaning they keep a used 209 in there and fill the barrel muzzle up with hoppes #9 sitting in a 5 gal bucket for a day or two . Then pour it back in the bottle thru a coffee filter and funnel . Then jag and patch it really good . Then pull the magspark and blow it down with compressed air in the muzzle and out the snail , patent breech or whatever . Q--tip the threads , clean the magspark by soaking it in hoppes too , and put it back on in a couple days . Oil and done . Workin for them for years . I dunno....

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The link was very informative as well. I guess I'll just try the Pyro pellets and see how that goes, I did use Pyrodex RS powder before with decent results.

Thanks for the replies. The link was very informative as well. I guess I'll just try the Pyro pellets and see how that goes, I did use Pyrodex RS powder before with decent results.
You'll be back to powder !!!

I still have 3 boxes of t7 pellets i may try in my side lock tc with a #11 to see how they do. I don't have a musket cap nipple for it. Like a said tho, if an 11 will fire it then a musket cap will.

T7 Pellets have a much higher ignition temp than Pyro pellets. The loose powders are virtually the same but not the pellets.

T7 Pellets have a much higher ignition temp than Pyro pellets. The loose powders are virtually the same but not the pellets.
Well if they don't work I'll make fire works out of them. They're 45 cal 50 grn and none of my friends want them. They're 5-6 years old now so they probably wont work any way.

Back