What do you think of the Firestick/Nitrofire system?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the feedback... We will see where I end up on this...

How hard would it be to reload a FireStick cartridge with BH209?

It should not be that much different from reloading a shotshell.

It might also be possible to make a re-usable cartridge the same size and shape out of aluminum, or steel.

This might provide a more cost-effective cartridge for this rifle.

I had to go into a malwart today so i checked for ML supplies as i always do. I found almost nothing on the shelf except cappers, patches and 100 grain firesticks for $11 for a 10 pack. Of course i bought one so i can cut them apart and see what i can do with that powder. $1.10 per shot is not bad if it compares to bh209. I'm going to open them all and find out what an average weight is then determine an 80gr equivalent charge and might try some comparison shots next range session. As always, hoping i dont blow up my gun and myself.

I had to go into a malwart today so i checked for ML supplies as i always do. I found almost nothing on the shelf except cappers, patches and 100 grain firesticks for $11 for a 10 pack. Of course i bought one so i can cut them apart and see what i can do with that powder. $1.10 per shot is not bad if it compares to bh209. I'm going to open them all and find out what an average weight is then determine an 80gr equivalent charge and might try some comparison shots next range session. As always, hoping i dont blow up my gun and myself.

Please send us some pictures of your dissection when you get it done.

I can shoot this stuff slightly cheaper than bh209 as long as malwart has it on clearance, and provided it shoots identical to same load as branded bh209. As long as no one messes with them then Hodgdon can call it as many grains as they want to. Hoping i can find 120 grain firesticks on clearance.

IMO, the whole fire stick idea seems and sounds innovative. But honestly after reading through a lot of these posts, it seems more complicated than just pouring powder down a barrel, ramming the bullet down, open the action, insert primer, ready to fire. That’s what I’ve been doing for 18 years now with my TC Omega. Fires every time, is not complicated, and is reliable. I was in a gun shop back around Christmas, and they had the Nitrofire gun in stock, but not any fire sticks!! So what good is the gun if he wasn’t selling the fire sticks??!!

IMO, the whole fire stick idea seems and sounds innovative. But honestly after reading through a lot of these posts, it seems more complicated than just pouring powder down a barrel, ramming the bullet down, open the action, insert primer, ready to fire. That’s what I’ve been doing for 18 years now with my TC Omega. Fires every time, is not complicated, and is reliable. I was in a gun shop back around Christmas, and they had the Nitrofire gun in stock, but not any fire sticks!! So what good is the gun if he wasn’t selling the fire sticks??!!
I think im gonna start hoarding the firesticks and sell them for $10-$20 each(not packs) on GunBroker.

Curious, do the 100 Gr Capsules have thicker walls than the 120 Gr to keep the same length so there is No Air space underneath the Bullet Shelf?

Back