What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A whole lot of sanding left to do on the whole stock and I can't make up my mind whether I'm going to go my usual oil finish there's a mechanic shop not far from me that does good body work I was thinking about having a real hard clear shot on it got time to think doesn't look like a Muzzleloader stock does it but it is

I researched any info I could find for MK 85/.54cal and suppliers that ship to Alaska. 20+ years away from smoke poles plus living in Alaska is turning into more of a challenge than I expected but I'll figure it out, everyone here has been a big help :lewis:

Giving the next couple of rifle stock blanks moral support the one on the left is Osage orange the one on the right is a marble- Mesquite mix my goal is to have this Blanks on muzzleloaders within the next year and a half this is how they start

Attachments

• 20231203_081547.jpg
    20231203_081547.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Been wondering for a while why the sister site has a popular thread by this title and we don’t, so…

What muzzleloading-related stuff did you do today?
Hope to kill another doe to make it #3 our club needs to use some nuisance tags and I have members who can't get out much anymore ,besides I live to shoot /kill/ target shoot and otherwise enjoy my front stuffers/Ed

Started sanding on a pecan exotic wood mix stock McMillan A5 with the hand hook I don't like sand in those inside hand hook things and pecan is not easy to work with I have a bench made out of the same tree so when I get through I'll have to take a picture of the pecan stock sitting on the pecan bench the spelling you can't hear me saying peeeeecan,not pacon!!! Just so we're clear.

Last night I pan lubed 20 sized Hornady Great Plains bullets with SPG-Idaho (my name for IdahoLewis' SPG lube mixture: 1/2 lb of SPG, 1 oz of ALOX, and 2.6 ounces of Stihl Ultra HD 2-cycle oil). It's a much softer lube than pure SPG, and seems to stay in the shallow grooves on the HGPs better. I found that it helps to bake the HGPs in the lube pan at 220 F whil the SPG-ID is melting to remove whatever lube Hornady puts on them, and to help the SPG-ID wet the HGPs more thoroughly. Once the lube pan full of bullets and lube cools to room temp, I found that it helps to put it in the refrigerator for an hour or so before pushing the bullets out of the lube. Adding the 2 cycle oil makes sense to me, because 2-cycle oil is engineered to lubricate with an exceptionally thin film under conditions of extreme heat, and that's what bullet lube has to do, too. Lewis reports shooting conicals lubed with SPG-ID at speeds of up to 1750 fps with no leading, and it's solved leading problems for others on the forum as well. We'll find out how it performs on sized HGPs in my Renegade during the next range session.

Today was windy, so I got started on this winter's basement remodeling projects, which involve lots of plumbing and flooring. I also took my lab pups, Sunny and Bonny, for a walk up the mountain behind our house. Great exercise for all, and good prep for upcoming Heritage ML season!

Latest posts

Back