What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kind of a fish out of water here. Iive just north of Los Angeles. I got back into BP, Airguns and reloading because California.

Lol - Please share all of my posts about Montana snow and cold with everybody you know in California! Every year there is a stream of people who move to Montana after having a wonderful summer vacation here. Every year there's a stream of people moving out of Montana after experiencing a Montana winter.

A couple of years ago there was a billboard in downtown Helena which read: Congratulations Governor Gavin Newsom! Montana Realtor of the Year, for three years in a row! And, because of what folks like Gavin are doing to California, more of the folks who move here are willing to put up with the winters.

In general, Montanans are very welcoming to people who come here as refugees from the Blue states, but Montanans hate people who come here as missionaries for Blue State politics and culture. You should see what the missionaries have done to my birthplace, Bozeman.... used to be a sweet little cow town with a college, no crime, no traffic, no drugs, no prostitutes, no pedophilia, no LGBTQTi +++ pride parades, no hateful DEI rhetoric... and a wonderful/affordable lifestyle. Now we call it Boze Angeles.

I don't declare a color when it comes to politics because, for the most part, I think the whole government and political aspect of the government is screwed beyond repair by anyone currently running for any office. I don't give a rip what color anyone's hide is nor where they have come from as long as they got here legally. And I don't care what anyone's orientation is as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat by insisting on laws that promote how they are oriented.

WP79..... I can feel your pain. A couple years ago we drove thru Brodus Montana, an area I hunted a few years. I could not believe how that whole area was built up and looked nothing like what I remembered. There was a nice supper club and bar on a corner years ago that served a steak dinner like no other place on earth and it was gone, now filled with high end clothing stores and other crap shopping. We had a nephew and his wife living in Butte, Belgrade and then West Yellowstone and all three looked like San Fransico rolled up the trash and dumped it in those cities.

I don't declare a color when it comes to politics because, for the most part, I think the whole government and political aspect of the government is screwed beyond repair by anyone currently running for any office. I don't give a rip what color anyone's hide is nor where they have come from as long as they got here legally. And I don't care what anyone's orientation is as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat by insisting on laws that promote how they are oriented.

WP79..... I can feel your pain. A couple years ago we drove thru Brodus Montana, an area I hunted a few years. I could not believe how that whole area was built up and looked nothing like what I remembered. There was a nice supper club and bar on a corner years ago that served a steak dinner like no other place on earth and it was gone, now filled with high end clothing stores and other crap shopping. We had a nephew and his wife living in Butte, Belgrade and then West Yellowstone and all three looked like San Fransico rolled up the trash and dumped it in those cities.
Yep. I spent 5 years in the Bay Area in the late seventies/early eighties. Not my kind of place, but for the most part, even the Bay Area was beautiful forty years ago. And I agree, most US politics are so corrupt and out of control that I'm skeptical about whether anybody can fix it. I have to say, though, that so far, everything I've seen of Montana state politics is a wonderful breath of fresh air compared to everywhere else I've been.

Anyone else worried about the global powder shortage?
(For those that haven't heard)
https://www.newsweek.com/ammo-prices-set-rise-substantially-vista-outdoor-firearms-1850528

Ive never heard of golden powder. I love any options that dont involve giving my money to corporations, if i can diy.
Its marketed commercially as "American Pioneer Powder" Though it couldn't have been made before 1928 so the pioneers never used it. Basically the Sulfur and most (but actually not all) of the Charcoal is replaced with Vitamin C of all things. Instead of ball milling and then making pucks you mix it into a dough over low heat and then put it in a food dehydrator. Then corn it the same way.

Unlike real BP none of it turns back into dust during the grinding stage. What goes through my 100 mesh screen is actual 5f.

Not an issue in this forum - but be aware the flash point of this stuff is fairly high. Makes it very safe to handle - but a poor choice for a flintlock

Anyone ever shot these pistol bullets saboted in a .45 cal muzzleloader? The price was right, if they disappoint i will load them in my glock..View attachment 40741
Ive got a few hundred of those Noslers in .45 250gr that i plan to try out in a 450BM but haven't loaded them yet. Are they less expensive then XTPs?

Ive got a few hundred of those Noslers in .45 250gr that i plan to try out in a 450BM but haven't loaded them yet. Are they less expensive then XTPs?
At .44 ea. they are more than what I’ve paid for 200g XTP’s. I bought a cpl boxes of them for .26 ea on sale & the last cpl boxes I bought I think I paid .30 ea

This weekend was the first late antlerless gun season in Illinois. I did not have any luck. I chronographed my hunting load when I shot it to empty it. 45 Cal Knight Mountaineer, 275 grain Parker BE, Felt wad, 82 Grains of BH 209 by weight was 2140 FPS. I was pretty impressed by that. After that I cleaned it.
What’s your D.O.P.E on this load?
Sub moa at 100 and 200 just curious,
I got some Parker 275 BE that I’m wanting to send home with my mountaineer 45.
I do like how they fit the barrel snug fit with medium pressure.

I couldn't wait. I ordered a Blue/Black Scout 45-70 from Sportsman Warehouse to have Hankins convert to a SML. Should be at my local store Jan 31st. No muzzle brake on this version but I will likely have one put on during the conversion but want your all's opinion. This gun will be mainly for sabot loads using the N120 and 195 to 225 grain bullets. I can probably get by without the brake? I think LBA shoots one without the brake? If I end up liking this shooter I'll probably get the stainless/muzzle brake version later this year. Thoughts?

Back