Why In-Line Muzzleloaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been hunting for over 55 years now and i can count on half a hand how many times I needed more than one shot. And you are correct that todays inline is as effective as a single shot rifle at most normal hunting ranges (inside 150 yards).
I have several quality bolt action CF rifles but they've been safe queens for a while now as I normally opt for one of my muzzys, either inline or sidelock. The only time I change is if I get the urge to tote one of my lever rifles with open sights.

Last edited:
I have a traditional ML a 54 cal Hawken made by T/C and I have the latest from Knight rifles a 40 cal LRM called Peregrine
The difference is like night and day
the 54 is a good accurate rifle but has range limitations the 40 has no range limitations
where I haunt it is possible to get a clear 200 yd shot and if I take that type of shot I want to be accurate and lethal so I have a scoped inline for that
all muzzleloaders have 1 thing in common they all load from the muzzle
their differences are similar to the old blonde, brunette choices its all what you like and don't fault anyone for thinking differently

Last edited:
I have a traditional ML a 54 cal Hawken made by T/C and I have the latest from Knight rifles a 40 cal LRM called Peregrine
The difference is like night and day
the 54 is a good accurate rifle but has range limitations the 40 has no range limitations
where I haunt it is possible to get a clear 200 yd shot and if I take that type of shot I want to be accurate and lethal so I have a scoped inline for that
all muzzleloaders have 1 thing in common they all load from the muzzle
their differences are similar to the old blonde, brunette choices its all what you like and don't fault anyone for thinking differently
So what you are saying you can load the inline a heck of a lot hotter??? Is that due to the rifling the barrel???

I just got back into ML and BP about a year ago. Mostly I wanted guns I can feed myself. Cast my own, prime my own, make my own, etc...

Just before season last year I was gifted a buckstalker. It was his dad's and he wanted it to be used. Otherwise I would have stuck with caplocks.

I agree that it is closer to a modern single shot than my sidelocks (each of them made meat also). But, I still get the joys and independence of feeding it myself, saving my high dollar brass for other things like huntin my brothers place where 250-300 yd shot isn't uncommon. I have a few charge tubes ready to go, so it doesnt take long to reload if needed (never was). But it's close to a modern without the extra expense for me.

If I need a hatchet I grab it. If I need an axe I use it. But it's always good to have a chainsaw ready to go. Just another tool in the barn.

I just got back into ML and BP about a year ago. Mostly I wanted guns I can feed myself. Cast my own, prime my own, make my own, etc...

Just before season last year I was gifted a buckstalker. It was his dad's and he wanted it to be used. Otherwise I would have stuck with caplocks.

I agree that it is closer to a modern single shot than my sidelocks (each of them made meat also). But, I still get the joys and independence of feeding it myself, saving my high dollar brass for other things like huntin my brothers place where 250-300 yd shot isn't uncommon. I have a few charge tubes ready to go, so it doesnt take long to reload if needed (never was). But it's close to a modern without the extra expense for me.

If I need a hatchet I grab it. If I need an axe I use it. But it's always good to have a chainsaw ready to go. Just another tool in the barn.
Hey I still use a slingshot to scare the squirrels away from my bird boxes...don't want to hurt the little suckers. Some of you guys may get me curious enough to get an inline. So far very happy with my sidelocks.

Please take this is some good natured nut busting, with a slight purpose. I just bought my first muzzleloader, and have nothing to offer, other than sarcasm 😄

First, the question on everyone's mind; Do you realize you joined a forum called "Modern Muzzleloader"?
Second question; How do you know we aren't all a bunch of old farts with crappy eyesight and need a 25-82X100,000 just to read the Readers Digest?
Third question; When you go hunting, are you dressed like Davy Crockett and ride your horse to your favorite hunting spot, going deep into the woods with a candle attached to your head for a head lamp?

So far my experiences on this forum have been refreshing from that of other forums. Everyone here seems genuinely interested in helping each other out. Carry on.
On that note...

I ha e a primitive kit I like to use
Hey I still use a slingshot to scare the squirrels away from my bird boxes...don't want to hurt the little suckers. Some of you guys may get me curious enough to get an inline. So far very happy with my sidelocks.
We also hunt small game with air, sling, and blowguns! Lots of fun!

Ease of cleaning is why I usually do use an in-line as opposed to a sidelocker.

I have needed multiple shots in the past but most often it was to shoot multiple deer out of the same group passing by. Such as this instance last year with a bolt action.

EA1ACEEB-6416-4A6E-A722-52AEF0FDC256.jpeg

I may start using MLs and single shots more often so I won’t do this anymore and extend the hunting season out some.

Where I live, the ML and modern firearms season combined are 3 months long.

I guess, I come from an era when the only hunters who used a scoped rifle, were old men who couldn't see very well. I grew up and hunted in an area where the woods are thick and most deer are shot within 30 yrds. No one needed a scope for that distance. Now, I'm one of those old men, although, I still prefer open sights.
As far as my Sidelock preference over an in-line, It is the idea of using 18th & 19th Century technology to punch holes or take game. In fact, some of them are so accurate, they will out shoot most (90%) of the in-lines made. See Idaho Lewis' videos of shooting 500 yrds with a T/C Renegade percussion. Everything on the rifle is stock, but the sights, and the type of sights he uses, were available 150 years ago. He proves a Sidelock can consistently shoot MOA or less.
Also, the Whitworth Rifle, designed in the 1850s, is a less than MOA shooter. It was used by Southern snipers during the Civil War.

Is using an In-line and scope like having to use training wheels? No, but they do allow sub-par shooters to shoot well and there isn't anything wrong with that.
my BS meter just went off

Just for general discussion and my edification, why do Muzzleloading enthusiasts use an in-line?
To me, it's no different than using a modern one-shot cartridge rifle. I live in Pennsylvania and true Muzzleloader Season still requires a Flintlock with open sights. I wholely embrace this. This is what muzzleloading is all about.

So please let me know why you prefer an inline and scoped rifles. I really want to understand.

To be clear, I bought a T/C Impact SB, because T/C stopped making rifles and I wanted a quality rifle at a low cost. I never shot it.
Maybe it’s because I like the 18th./19th. century aspect, or maybe it’s because I’m old, but Sidelocks rule!

if thou are not liketh me !
and if thou does not doith as i hath doneth !
in the mannerth i have doneth !
then thee are indeed an abomination !!!
and shouldth notith beith allowed !

Last edited:
My primary hunting rifle is a T/C Firehawk. She's a striker fired, fixed plug inline that is hands down the most accurate and consistent rifle I've ever owned.
And I've owned a LOT.
I shoot only Holy Black, lit with #11 caps. I do shoot sabots and conicals.
She's subject to all the same issues, rate of fire and range limitations as my Hawken, Renegade an Pennsylvania Hunters.
All my rifles wear aperture sights. My max range is that which requires me to take an off body hold. Roughly 150 yards.
My factory laminated T/C Hawken is quite accurate. Much more than necessary for hunting and not too far behind the Firehawk with the same load.
While my Hawken and Renegades are superb handling rifles, the are also heavy compared to the Firehawk which fits me like it was custom made.
The design of the Firehawk is very simple compared to a sidelock.
Takes me no longer to clean the sidelocks than the Firehawk.
I started with a sidelock, went to various inlines before settling on my Firehawk. I have 3 percussion sidelocks and 4 flintlocks.
I do remain an unrepentant inliner, but I also love my sidelocks.
And b.t.w., aperture sights are allowed in flintlock season. And I do not favor allowing percussion sidelocks or inlines during flintlock season.

Learning a lot about inlines...but what is a holy black you shoot...got all sorts of garbage on google nothing about anything to do with MLs

This is so similar to the trolling on archery sites from people who shoot traditional long bows on people who prefer compounds. I use both and I make my own longbows and recurves. I depend on getting 2 or 3 deer a year to keep my family in meat so I will use whatever gives me the best chance at getting them and still keeps me within the law. I have an expensive compound that I use every year until I have at least one deer. Then, I may take my stick bows out. If season is drawing to a close and I still don't have my 3, I will break out the shotgun. Muzzle loaders give me an extra week and no other weapon is allowed, not even a bow. So, I have a CVA wolf I can use during that week. Why in the world would I use less then the most efficient weapon that is legal to get meat for my family? That would just be silly in my mind. I use to make fun of people who had to use a scope but nature has a way of humbling you. I can't even see iron sites now. I don't need sites at all for 50 yard shots or closer but if I do need sites for a longer shot, I need a scope now so I understand scope shooters. Getting old sucks but it largely beats the alternative.

I just enjoy another weapon/MZL in my gun safe. I love the custom loads and different bullets. I shoot lots of paper and I love making all types of MZL print on paper and the load development for them all. My young shooters start with sidelocks and appreciate the evolution into what they like. Most like the smaller caliber side locks but like the cleaning ease of the open breech. It is what you like to do. I enjoy this forum very much and I get to learn from everyone with all types of MZLdrs. I am now getting the itch for shot-guns and Smokeless. I have a new discover card so I am deadly. Hahaha Stay safe and shoot often. Big Jim

Why Inline Muzzleloaders?
My five top reasons for giving Inlines a big thumbs-up

1) Broader spectrum of bullets and powder-types available.
2) Sealed waterproof ignition
3) Hotter ignitions
4) Fiber-optics are generally standard equipment
5) Removable breechplugs

Welcome to the World of Inlines Patton. Both the T/C Impact and the CVA Wolf make nice starter MLs. Sometimes they become great finishers also, for they can last a lifetime.

Last edited:
Back