Measuring volume on BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Said it before and I will say it again:

If you want/ need the absolute best accuracy, esp at longer ranges, you should weigh each charge refardless of the powder used. Weighing is more accurate, by any measure šŸ˜. You will never see me dispute this fact.

But for guys out there like me, that only use open sights, and itā€™s extremely rare to shoot past 100-120 yards, you donā€™t have to weigh to get very good accuracy. Volume works just fine

You donā€™t need to get sub MOA groups at 500 yards to hunt very proficiently, esp in states like Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah that donā€™t allow scopes.

YOMV
I stand corrected. Another member that got it right. We're on a roll.

And a ā€œgrainā€ is not a unit of measurement of volume.

"Grain, unit of weight equal to 0.065 gram, or 1/7,000 pound " Britannica

If a grain can be weighed, it has mass and therefore can be used as a measure of volume.

"Grain, unit of weight equal to 0.065 gram, or 1/7,000 pound " Britannica

If a grain can be weighed, it has mass and therefore can be used as a measure of volume.
Also from Britannica...

volume is the size of a solid. Formulas for area and volume are based on lengths. For example, the area of a circle equals Ļ€ times the square of the length of its radius, and the volume of a rectangular box is the product of its three linear dimensions: length, width, and height.

==========

Another definition of volume is... the amount of space something takes up.

I know you guys discussing this know this, and are just having fun arguing, but for those newbies that are reading this:

To be clear, the muzzleloading ā€œ100 gr volumeā€ has nothing to do with volume. A LONG time ago someone measured out 100 gr of real Black powder by weight on a scale. Then they measured the volume of that weight of BP and that has been used as a standard.

So the proper way to say it is

100 gr BP volume equivalent

But we just dropped the equivalent.

That was never a problem and wasnā€™t argued about until BP substitutes came out that weighed different than an equivalent volume of black powder.

Having said that, I use 95 grains (volume equivalent) of BH 209 for elk. šŸ¤Ŗ

Last edited:
There are two devices here that measure powder by volume. One of them measures 100g volume equivalent of powder as 0.4 cubic inch.

i.e. 100g volume equivalent of powder = 0.4 cubic inch in measure one.

The other measure measures 100g volume equivalent as 0.39 cubic inch.

i.e. 100g volume equivalent of powder = 0.39 cubic inch in measure two.

This morning once again measured the volume of 100g volume equivalent powder with the two powder measures available here. Both measures measured 0.39 cubic inch

i.e. 100g volume equivalent of powder = 0.39 inchĀ³ in both device.

Last edited:
Back