CVA Accura MR-X .45 without issues?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently purchased a CVA Accura MR-X in .45 I am happy to be able to say I must be one of the lucky ones. Mine came with the forend secured almost perfectly snug as it should be. ( Very simple quick fix, involves loosening a set screw, backing out the bolt the forend locks onto by a tad and retightening the said set screw. Took me less than a minute when I noticed the set screw has backed off after about 50-75 shots to do this process. Sight in took no more than 5 shots from beginning to end. Thing is an absolute tac driver if I do my part. I've ran about 100 or so rounds through it and only issues I've had were my own fault and not major by any stretch. I've heard people say that their bores were oversized or loose... I've not noticed anything close to that. Yes power belt bullets will feel loose then tighten up down towards the breech... There's powder down there and pb's are a thou' under bore diamater in order to load easier but as I've evidenced still seem to obturate just fine. I've only shot out to 100 so far just out of available space for now, but have been pleased with results. An inch or better every time, as long as I do my part. I've even put 3 shots hole through hole. This tells me all dispersion is likely me not following through. As far as the rifle goes it's flawless. Honestly. Can't think of anything I'd change (sometimes I wish I grabbed the 30" barreled LR-X but looking at load data you literally are only gaining about 65fps, for 4" more barrel. Add the muzzle brake I use on there and that's now a long smoke pole to try and maneuver around with in the woods. So yes I do believe I can confidently say I purchased one that I am completely satisfied with. Oh yeah, the trigger adjusted all the way down gets you around 2.5lbs and there is ZERO take up... One of the best hunting triggers I've ever felt. Not an 8oz match two stage, but a PERFECT hunting trigger.
Hope that helped a little if any.
Good post, thanks for the story. I'm glad to see that you got a good rifle & are enjoying it.

Price went down again.
I paid $479 for my Accura MR-X.45. from midway USA. Zero issues. Don't know if I'm a lucky one or if all these complaints are a little over zealous. Regarding the forend issue... The barrel is free floated back to the lug. On said lug is a bolt that your forend clamps on to, takedown style. That bolt is held in place to a specific depth by a small set screw. This set screw can come loose after some shooting so could also come loose during shipping. Nothing a little loctite can't fix. You may have to try the fit a couple times to set that bolt at the correct depth but that's as complicated as it gets regarding the forend. Mine came secure and straight so non issue but it did need to be tightened after about 50-75 shots. Regarding the bore issues... I'm wondering how many people having "bore issues" are using power belts. People do understand they are loading a bullet that's purpose designed a thousandth under bore diamater. Correct? So yes it will be snug at the crown, relatively loose down the bore and snug back up on top of the powder you just dumped in there... Kinda common sense if you think about all the varying factors. Now if you're bullet is dropping down the bore that's another story. But what I've been hearing is tight loose tight. As I just explained using a power belt that makes complete sense. Not saying I haven't seen any crooked forends which is strange and seems like it could be a quick fix if you take a minute to understand the workings of the rifle. If it's not fixable by my explanation above then yes I'd say your forend is likely junk.
I'm not looking to contradict any claims of quality control issues. We all know CVA has had some issues there. (Early ELR'S having uneven gas checks, the muzzle brake they discontinued, etc.) But I feel as though some people are maybe not considering everything before they make that determination. My point is just because that price tag dropped doesn't mean it's junk. The one I purchased was actually likely on sale due to the fact that the cammo pattern used is also discontinued. Plus lack of sales due to all the negativity surrounding that model.

Can you share some of your load data?
Sure though what I use may or may not be for everyone and may change in the near future.
I'm currently using 105 grains by weight of pyrodex select. Federal 209mz primers and power belt 285 elr bullets. Some people will balk at that magnum charge, but if you look at the bullet design and understand stabilization, you'll understand that there's a reason powerbelt recommends a magnum charge for the use of elr bullets. They also recommend shooting them in 1:24 or faster twist. Again all for a reason. Stabilization. Long spire point bullets are not the easiest to stabilize. Especially out of traditional 1:28 twist barrels. So the 1:22 in the MR-X works well though I would love to play with a 1:20 to do some testing. The load data is putting velocity at 2,100fps and that's actually precisely what I figured it to be. It's just under 2,800fpe at the muzzle.
Accuracy is sub moa as long as I do my part. The barrel likes to be shot dirty just not screaming hot. Yes it kicks like a mule. A big mule. But it's not as bad as people may think. (To me)

Good post, thanks for the story. I'm glad to see that you got a good rifle & are enjoying it.
Thank you. I'm certainly happy with it. Believe me I heard all the horror stories too. Made me very anxious before firing the rifle the first few times and even getting it out of the box. I was expecting upside down butt stocks, blown out bores, etc. But I trusted my gut knowing the platform seemed sound. I've had other CVA rifles so I knew their durability and reliability. This is by far the nicest one I've had though. Shoots sweet though God help you if you accidentally forget ears on your first shot, (or any shot by with me if I forget em it's on the first one) especially with the muzzle brake on there. The concussion is bad. But no complaints thus far. I'm just letting hopefully someone know there are good ones out there and if you can snag one cheap I'd say go for it! It's under a lifetime warranty...

I just recently purchased a CVA Accura MR-X in .45 I am happy to be able to say I must be one of the lucky ones. Mine came with the forend secured almost perfectly snug as it should be. ( Very simple quick fix, involves loosening a set screw, backing out the bolt the forend locks onto by a tad and retightening the said set screw. Took me less than a minute when I noticed the set screw has backed off after about 50-75 shots to do this process. Sight in took no more than 5 shots from beginning to end. Thing is an absolute tac driver if I do my part. I've ran about 100 or so rounds through it and only issues I've had were my own fault and not major by any stretch. I've heard people say that their bores were oversized or loose... I've not noticed anything close to that. Yes power belt bullets will feel loose then tighten up down towards the breech... There's powder down there and pb's are a thou' under bore diamater in order to load easier but as I've evidenced still seem to obturate just fine. I've only shot out to 100 so far just out of available space for now, but have been pleased with results. An inch or better every time, as long as I do my part. I've even put 3 shots hole through hole. This tells me all dispersion is likely me not following through. As far as the rifle goes it's flawless. Honestly. Can't think of anything I'd change (sometimes I wish I grabbed the 30" barreled LR-X but looking at load data you literally are only gaining about 65fps, for 4" more barrel. Add the muzzle brake I use on there and that's now a long smoke pole to try and maneuver around with in the woods. So yes I do believe I can confidently say I purchased one that I am completely satisfied with. Oh yeah, the trigger adjusted all the way down gets you around 2.5lbs and there is ZERO take up... One of the best hunting triggers I've ever felt. Not an 8oz match two stage, but a PERFECT hunting trigger.
Hope that helped a little if any.
Great review! I bought an Optima over a month ago so I'm set for now, also very pleased. Not sure but I think they sold all those 45s in Mossy Oak. Great looking pattern. Glad it worked our for you.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'm certainly happy with it. Believe me I heard all the horror stories too. Made me very anxious before firing the rifle the first few times and even getting it out of the box. I was expecting upside down butt stocks, blown out bores, etc. But I trusted my gut knowing the platform seemed sound. I've had other CVA rifles so I knew their durability and reliability. This is by far the nicest one I've had though. Shoots sweet though God help you if you accidentally forget ears on your first shot, (or any shot by with me if I forget em it's on the first one) especially with the muzzle brake on there. The concussion is bad. But no complaints thus far. I'm just letting hopefully someone know there are good ones out there and if you can snag one cheap I'd say go for it! It's under a lifetime warranty...
I have one and love it. I am shooting the SWBP at 90 grn max load by volume and am shooting 3/4 inch groups at 100 yrds with the 200 grn SST and harv sabot. I don't have good Chrono graph but my Avg is around 1900 FPS ( I think that is little High ) I am breaking 8 inch ceramic tiles at 200-250 yrds with ease. I have had no issues with this rifle and very happy with it. I grabbed one when Midway had the deal going on and am very happy. I have shot my sidelocks for over 30yrs and wanted to try something different last year. I bought a wolf, Now I have three working on the forth CVA, So far have been real happy. Have not shot any ELRs through this yet. I have allot of other bullets for plinking. Looking for a deal on some to try them out. I have been very happy with the All my cva's thus far my MR-X is my favorite. Stay safe. Shoot often

.They also recommend shooting them in 1:24 or faster twist. Again all for a reason. Stabilization. Long spire point bullets are not the easiest to stabilize. Especially out of traditional 1:28 twist barrels.
So why did CVA did the .50 cal MRX and LRX a 1:28 twist? CVA's guns are not designed to optimally shoot their own ELR bullets.

So I didn't want to admit it but I ordered the Mossy Oak Bottomland 45 cal MRX from Midway for $431. I am a sucker for bottomland camo and just couldn't resist it any longer and had to find out what I would get, good or bad. Well, it turned out good for me, so far. Received the MRX today and I am very surprised and pleased. Was expecting to have to send it to CVA for refund or replacement but that is not the case. Fit and finish are just fine and no off center forearm and the rifling is clean, smooth and no chatter marks. My plans are to put a 3-9×40 VX-1 I have on the existing mount and will look at other bases just in case this one cracks. Hopefully it'll shoot well.View attachment 30455 View attachment 30456View attachment 30457View attachment 30458View attachment 30459View attachment 30461

With all the negative crap that I constantly keep hearing about the new line of Accura's & Paramounts, IDK whether to say " congrats or I'm sorry ".
With that price, again, pending on how the guns quality is, IDK whether to say " killer deal or what a complete waste of 431.00 ".
It is a very nice looking gun fur sure.
I do wish the best for you & that the gun turns out to be the shooter you want it to be. Keep us posted about

So why did CVA did the .50 cal MRX and LRX a 1:28 twist? CVA's guns are not designed to optimally shoot their own ELR bullets.
The 50 cal is designed for the 1:28 twist. The .45s have to be 1:24 or better.

The 50 cal is designed for the 1:28 twist. The .45s have to be 1:24 or better.
This is straight off the load data given for these bullets. The .50 cal doesn't quite have the bearing surface long enough to necessitate a faster twist. It's just on the outside a polymer tipped stubby fat spire point. Not meant to do much more than 150. 200 yards. Doesn't have the bc. Drop is insane.
When you get to the .45 cal being a heavy for caliber bullet you have to lengthen that bearing surface while adding weight to that same spire point design. This is when you need to start thinking about ballistics and stabilization. Heavy for caliber bullets usually need to be stabilized in a barrel that has a faster twist rate than that of what's needed to stabilize low and mid for caliber bullets. Just physics. The 50 cal is only a 330 I believe which is not much more than a standard, 250-300 grain bullet where as .45s are usually in the 175-225 range and the elr in 45 comes in at 285 grains. Now there are extremely larger projectiles being used, big 550 grainers. But I'm talking day to day weights. Not surface to air missile stuff. Now the.40 cal is even longer of a bearing surface and the velocity is insane for what it is. This combined with a very sharp ogive makes in my opinion one of the best bullet designs out there for mass produced bullets. I'd only make it an aluminum tip instead of polymer but obviously that's not as cost effective. But taken apart these bullets are essentially a hollow point with a cute little boat tail on the back. A massive hollow point at that. As you can see in this round I pulled from my bore after a mistake on my part, I decided to take a closer look at these rounds and I have to say I was impressed with the design. Maybe a slightly thicker jacket. But they work wonders for a bunch of happy people. Others not so much. But that's life. So I'm by no means a CVA fanboy but I can say that they produced at least two accurate rifles I've personally owned. And the elr's work great in the MR-X. Still wish it was in .40...

Attachments

• IMG_20230219_140443862.jpg
    IMG_20230219_140443862.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
This is straight off the load data given for these bullets. The .50 cal doesn't quite have the bearing surface long enough to necessitate a faster twist. It's just on the outside a polymer tipped stubby fat spire point. Not meant to do much more than 150. 200 yards. Doesn't have the bc. Drop is insane.
When you get to the .45 cal being a heavy for caliber bullet you have to lengthen that bearing surface while adding weight to that same spire point design. This is when you need to start thinking about ballistics and stabilization. Heavy for caliber bullets usually need to be stabilized in a barrel that has a faster twist rate than that of what's needed to stabilize low and mid for caliber bullets. Just physics. The 50 cal is only a 330 I believe which is not much more than a standard, 250-300 grain bullet where as .45s are usually in the 175-225 range and the elr in 45 comes in at 285 grains. Now there are extremely larger projectiles being used, big 550 grainers. But I'm talking day to day weights. Not surface to air missile stuff. Now the.40 cal is even longer of a bearing surface and the velocity is insane for what it is. This combined with a very sharp ogive makes in my opinion one of the best bullet designs out there for mass produced bullets. I'd only make it an aluminum tip instead of polymer but obviously that's not as cost effective. But taken apart these bullets are essentially a hollow point with a cute little boat tail on the back. A massive hollow point at that. As you can see in this round I pulled from my bore after a mistake on my part, I decided to take a closer look at these rounds and I have to say I was impressed with the design. Maybe a slightly thicker jacket. But they work wonders for a bunch of happy people. Others not so much. But that's life. So I'm by no means a CVA fanboy but I can say that they produced at least two accurate rifles I've personally owned. And the elr's work great in the MR-X. Still wish it was in .40...
One last thing. If the bores are so oversized, why is there rifling on my bullet and gas check?

There is also a 270g version of the .50 ELR.
Isn't that an aerolite? I've only seen the 333 or 323 whatever it is. I've seen 270 Aerolite bullets. I believe are dark with red tip. Don't quote me those could be another weight but I'm 99% sure the gray red tipped Aerolite is a 270. I'm gonna look that up that's news to me if there's two weights of .50 cal elr's

Those elr bullets are plated - not jacketed. One of the many complaints about them.

Lots of reading here on the forum about them if you do a search……
I understand the process. I actually did extensive research on the elr bullets. I wanted to see what made them work and if the system was truly genius or simply dated. I believe the system is sound. I refer to the outer copper plating that is very thin as a "jacket" because that's what my terminology is for that. I apologize if it sounds like ignorance but I assure you it's not. Not my first trip down ballistics lane...

I understand the process. I actually did extensive research on the elr bullets. I wanted to see what made them work and if the system was truly genius or simply dated. I believe the system is sound. I refer to the outer copper plating that is very thin as a "jacket" because that's what my terminology is for that. I apologize if it sounds like ignorance but I assure you it's not. Not my first trip down ballistics lane...
So are they “truly genius?”

Can you share some of your load data?
I thought I already shared this but it's appearing like I didn't. My apologies. I'm running CVA Accura MR-X .45, federal 209mz primers, 105 grains of pyrodex select by weight, with a 285 grain power belt elr. That gets me right at 2,100fps making 2,750+ fpe at the muzzle. Yes I run a muzzle brake. No not because I need to due to recoil, but to mitigate things like bipod bounce, muzzle rise, smoke dispersion. The added benefit is less felt recoil, trade off is more felt volume from the gas redirect. Be clear. The brake is not making the gun louder. It is merely redirecting what sound would have been blasting down range, back towards the shooter, (and his buddies) seemingly making the gun "louder".
Anyway sub moa accuracy is easily achieved with out much effort. If I really do my part I've shot actual one hole groups with this, sub 1/4" dispersion. The Bergara barrel is absolutely FLAWLESS and free floating it really improves on the harmonics. Great idea.
I run a compact, Bushnell AR optics 3-12x40 to keep the rifle sleek and light. I run a small 6-9 Caldwell xlr bipod, which is soon being swapped out to a ultra light Spartan Precision javalin lite. I am also looking into attaching a monopod via the rear swivel stud. It has two stage adjustment and is compact and out of the way... No more rear bag or jacket. I'm looking into making the switch to BH 209 near future but if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm just running out my stash and will be ordering a couple jugs to really fine tune a load.

So are they “truly genius?”
In my opinion I think they have the right idea, it's just being produced on such a massive scale that cost effectiveness takes away a lot of things. Like for in stance if they thickened the copper, got rid of the polymer and used an alloy, same with gas check, make the lead mass and copper plating cup or dish based to ensure a proper gas seal, and yeah the idea of a spire point like bullet with a tip made of an alloy that allows the massive hollow point to do a massive energy dump upon impact, while retaining a lead base that continues on through the media. The cup or dish based ensures a proper gas seal as the bullet obturates upon ignition.
All these principles are employed in elr bullets just made in the most cost effective way possible. That's business.
I forgot to mention the two smaller caliber bullets being long bearing surfaced and sharp ogived giving them superb bc's for muzzy's. So yeah I kinda think they're onto something... I did watch someone hit an ,8x8" target at 1,000 yards after just a few shots. That was a .40 cal elr... Enough for me in my book.

In my opinion I think they have the right idea, it's just being produced on such a massive scale that cost effectiveness takes away a lot of things. Like for in stance if they thickened the copper, got rid of the polymer and used an alloy, same with gas check, make the lead mass and copper plating cup or dish based to ensure a proper gas seal, and yeah the idea of a spire point like bullet with a tip made of an alloy that allows the massive hollow point to do a massive energy dump upon impact, while retaining a lead base that continues on through the media. The cup or dish based ensures a proper gas seal as the bullet obturates upon ignition.
All these principles are employed in elr bullets just made in the most cost effective way possible. That's business.
I forgot to mention the two smaller caliber bullets being long bearing surfaced and sharp ogived giving them superb bc's for muzzy's. So yeah I kinda think they're onto something... I did watch someone hit an ,8x8" target at 1,000 yards after just a few shots. That was a .40 cal elr... Enough for me in my book.
Be clear. I'm not advocating or not for these bullets and BPI in general, (besides Bergara, no one can honestly say bad things about them...) All I am saying is they didn't botch it as bad as some people make it out
Did they have some quality control issues? Absolutely. Recalls? Yup. But that doesn't diminish the success, at least in my eyes. I personally think that free floating Bergara barrel is worth every penny you pay, no matter what quirky issues the rifle itself may have. Those barrels are absolute gems in my experience. Some of the best in the production barrel business, if not THE best. Personally, that's what sold me on the rifle. And it's relatives. I trust Bergara. The most important part of any rifle is it's barrel. Period. So I personally took the route that got me the highest level barrel I could achieve, given the comparison in price. And really at all. I mean is any barrel on a production muzzy better than a Bergara? Not to mention it's fluted with a nitride coating it's entirety, and cerakoted on top of the receiver and barrel. So durability is no question.The rest of the Accura MR-X is actually fairly clever as well. Adjustable trigger which imo is the perfect hunting trigger. All the way down I'd put it ,2.5lbs. Zero take up like actually zero movement in the blade prior to sear engaging, and s crisp clean predictable break. Every time. The adjustable cheek comb I'd say should be standard on all modern rifles by now. Soft touch synthetic stock in cammo print. This is a really nice stock. The adjustable cheek comb is clutch. The soft touch synthetic when done right I'd one of my favorite stock configurations. Cammo pattern works well in my area, the pistol grip is substantial in feel. Meaning ergonomics for you to grip the rifle as you please. There is enough room for you to wrap your thumb, (terrible habit) or test it. The fact it's threaded for a brake is icing on the cake. I mean a Bergara barrel to begin with is pretty special on a muzzy. But the ability to run a brake out of the box on a muzzy is spectacular. Outside of quality control issues doesn't that all sound really intriguing?

Back