CVA Accura MR-X .45 without issues?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I’ll bite. You think your shooting form is really showing a larger effect than the raw dispersion in that rifle??

You might try shooting a statistically significant number of shots, like 10-30 and see what sort of accuracy that rifle is actually capable of. My guess is more like 1-2 minutes. I’m willing to bet that’s no 1/4 moa rifle.
I have put some rounds down through it bud trust me. I take it out a couple to few times a week just to practice and exercise etc. I have shot some pretty impressive groups at 100. 3 shots hole through hole, 6 shots within half an inch and I don't remember what the third one was.
But point is yes I don't just pick it up and shoot a 3 shot group.snd call it a day... I go through some components! I like to shoot . A lot. So I get out as much as possible.

I have put some rounds down through it bud trust me. I take it out a couple to few times a week just to practice and exercise etc. I have shot some pretty impressive groups at 100. 3 shots hole through hole, 6 shots within half an inch and I don't remember what the third one was.
But point is yes I don't just pick it up and shoot a 3 shot group.snd call it a day... I go through some components! I like to shoot . A lot. So I get out as much as possible.
Well, that’s my point. We’ve all shot “Impressive groups” and “hole through hole” groups in rifles that really aren’t honestly capable of that kind of accuracy day in and day out. Those 3 and 5 shot groups are not predictive of the rifle’s future accuracy. They just aren’t statistically. They just show 3-5 bullets hitting near one another within a larger dispersion pattern. A three shot group may vary 60 to 70% from the average of a 20-30 shot group (which is essentially the true potential of the rifle/load).

I have been shooting for some years now. At 32 but going to make it out like I'm shooting on the king of 2 mile but I used to compete shooting high power pcp air rifles out to 500 yards sub moa. I built a .306 caliber bullpup that won and placed me in a few comps. I designed a regulator that I personally tested and used with a company in the Netherlands. So I've shot quite a few. 3 shot groups and quite a few 9, (my last mentioned rifles magazine size) and larger shot groups, not for score but for practice and the rifle itself shooting 62 grain hollow point pure lead slugs, sized to .306 at 1,000fps, shot out of an Alpha Precision polygonal chromoly barrel. It was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever personally shot. I shot it so much I was able to see the errors in my shooting because I was aware of the rifles capabilities, therefore any deviation other than external factors such as wind were me not being consistent enough. Again I helped design the regulator tailored obviously to the platform I had on hand. This was a $5,000 project. So I TRUSTED this rifles feedback.
I guess my point is yes. I think I can confidently say those shots went where they were placed by myself not the rifles deviation. Could I be completely wrong? Absolutely could have been a lucky one. But that was my old shooting pattern absolutely spot on. And I finally felt good getting behind the gun, in a good spot with a little more distance. I shot other groups yesterday that weren't that pattern. Does that mean my point is moot? No. Just means I need to work on my shot.
Me zeroing rifle in the field after mounting new scope. As you can see once I walked it in, I was able to hold that three shot group. Repeatedly. So that's just my shooting form. Pulling on the last shot getting over anxious to really finish it off. That's my opinion. I know that rifle will put that bullet wherever you aim it as long as you do your part. 8oz trigger pull wasn't hurting.
This is not the only instance of these patterns. I shot like that consistently for years... When I was truly locked and focused and stable. On a trusted rifle, who's feedback could be seen as valid and barring any external factors.
Sounds crazy I know but I have no reason to lie on a muzzleloader forum about my shooting performance or pattern. It was just as curious to myself the first time I really noticed it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220808_150204.jpg
    IMG_20220808_150204.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220818_145631.jpg
    IMG_20220818_145631.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220815_124949.jpg
    IMG_20220815_124949.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220803_055859.jpg
    IMG_20220803_055859.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Well, that’s my point. We’ve all shot “Impressive groups” and “hole through hole” groups in rifles that really aren’t honestly capable of that kind of accuracy day in and day out. Those 3 and 5 shot groups are not predictive of the rifle’s future accuracy. They just aren’t statistically. They just show 3-5 bullets hitting near one another within a larger dispersion pattern. A three shot group may vary 60 to 70% from the average of a 20-30 shot group (which is essentially the true potential of the rifle/load).
You are correct. With muzzle loading yes. You are restricted to the accuracy of the charge and the pressure it creates varying load to load albeit everything else be exactly the same. Even when weighed the charges can yield varying amounts of energy per granule so velocity does deviate and this effects your longer ranges accuracy. But if you see the rifle placing those shots where you put them. To the point you can use the thickness of your reticle to place a shot, wouldn't you trust it's feedback as being accurate and therefore take that knowledge to improve on your shot placement?
Personally I think I myself, and others, know when a rifle is putting the rounds exactly where I put them , or if there's some dispersion in the poi and poa.

Very... I myself think when you have an accurate rifle to that degree. And you shoot for groups and all external factors are constant, (as constant as can be. I mean low enough variance to not significantly enough influence the bullets flight path, from shot to shot. Obviously it won't be completely consistent throughout.) You can really gain some insight into your shooting capabilities. And shortcomings. That's all I'm saying.

And keep it muzzleloader. No air rifle, that just taints the conversation..
Ok. Fair enough. I only had those pictures on hand of an example of an often shot 3 shot group pattern of mine. It does help illustrate my point in what I meant to convey. Take away the rifle the bullets were shot out of it shows a continuous display of that particular clover leaf like pattern. Out of a platform that's feedback can be trusted. I guess there's really nothing to be gained in continuing this conversation regardless.
What I really was and or am getting at, is the rifle seems to be on target, especially those first three, cold bore shot included. Which as a hunter is what's especially important to me.
Whether or not the shot dispersion was the rifle's or mine? Who can say.
That's a small sample of about 100 rounds fired out of that bore so far. So no definitive conclusion can be drawn from it. But the bore seems to be seasoning in after some rounds, and having samples as large as 20 rounds with three different poa's, I've seen on a moderate scale what type of accuracy my particular rifle is capable of. Half inch groups @ 100 using elr's can be easily achieved as long as the shooter does their part. I'm looking into exploring other types of ammunition in order to give the rifle a thorough evaluation. I also have to do some testing beyond 150 yards.
Admittedly I only have a small sample of data to work off of. I'm in the midst of changing propellants. Everything could go bust. But so far so good.

Sounds like you have a great shooting rifle for sure. The deal you got and the special camo run makes it even better. How great it shoots is splitting hairs. Enjoy!

One last thing. If the bores are so oversized, why is there rifling on my bullet and gas check?
I noticed that same thing when I ran a powerbelt down the bore of a .45 cal LRX. After that I measured the bore, as best I could, then bought the darn thing.
I hope to shoot it early next week.

Back