Just Like Blackhorn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only thing i dont care for about 777 is it will sieze up breech plugs ..............
One could try pushing a soaked patch down the barrel to the breech plug on the jag, tilt the barrel up, and leave the soaked patch there for a couple minutes. It may make the breech plug quite easy to remove.

One could try pushing a soaked patch down the barrel to the breech plug on the jag, tilt the barrel up, and leave the soaked patch there for a couple minutes. It may make the breech plug quite easy to remove.
dont have one siezed up now but have had a couple do it and was a real pain to get them broke loose.. Does it worse once you get up around 100 gr 777 or more, lower powder charges of 777 take longer to sieze a plug say maybe 15 shots or so.. when I shoot it anymore I will stop and break plug loose as soon as done shooting or every 10 shots while shooting.

I am not saying this is the total answer for the seized breech plug but it is what I do and it works for me. One of the keys for success is the Breech Plug shelf in the barrel needs to be clean and not have gas cuts in the shelf.

Wrapping_a_Plug.jpg

This has worked for me for many many years....

But I have one one improvement I would also like to suggest...

This seems to be the strongest Teflon tape that I have been able to find

1-Blue-Monster.jpg

Another point I would like to emphasize is to double wrap the the nose of the plug and tap/push the excess down and into the nose of the plug.

3-Wrapped-Tapped.jpg

One of the keys in this application is to get a positive seal on the nose of the breech plug on the shelf in the bore. Another suggestion is tighten the plug to the shelf enough to press the tape tight but not so tight that you tear the tape.

This picture is older than the hills and I need to give Underclocked the credit for the illustration.

Breech-Plug-Sealing.jpg

When shooting a newly wrapped plug it is probably wise to touch off a couple of primers or caps to blow the excess tape out of the bore.

Last edited:
You and me both bamawoodsman if I had to figure out how to make my own powder so I could hunt I would do it. If I had to sharpen a stick to jump out of a tree and kill my deer I would do it. I will hunt. A jackknife, a stick with a stone tied to it, whatever it takes, I will hunt.

Thank you dbowling, well said.
Amen Snapbang. Live to Hunt......Hunt to live.....and fish

Very nice presentation sabotloader. I like your solution

I just use common grease on both of mine. In my Wolf I could shoot about 20 times and it would come out with some effort. Using T7 that is. My Knight Elite with the ssk plug is so tight no gas gets past the face of the plug. After shooting there is no dirt in the threads at all so I think I could shoot it indefinitely. Thats the perfect solution but I doubt that is normal. I figure I got lucky.

When I used 777 in T/C black diamond i would grease breech plug, swab between shots with wet patch, and use 777 209 primers. I noticed with 777 primers i built up less of a crud ring. If i remember right my hunting load was 85-90gr. Very accurate and pleasant day at the range.

only thing i dont care for about 777 is it will seize up breech plugs if shot too many times w/o backing out plug...
Ever since I began using just a dab of white/lithium grease on the threads of my breach plugs, that issue has disappeared. A tube looks like it will last a lifetime. I have heard others have similar success with plumbers/Teflon tape.

Was able to do a little shooting this morning. Load, and rifle was the same as OP.

78 weighed grain Triple Seven ff
poly wad
250 grain Deep Curl
Winchester large pistol primer
45 caliber Omega -- no QLA

Made 12 reloads without swabbing. Started shooting from a cold clean barrel. Shot 13 shots at top target. Marked some shots that were remembered.

IMG_5278.JPG

Upon arrival at home, leaving the breech plug in place, the barrel was scrubbed with a soaked patch, . Then another soaked patch was pushed down the barrel to the breech plug, and left there. After a few minutes, the breech plug was easily unscrewed.

Leaving the soaked patch next to the breech plug softens the 777 crud. Breech plug unscrewed from rifle easily.

IMG_5282.JPG

IMG_5280.JPG

I have a Kanke rifle that uses #11 caps. I've had a few hangfires with 777 when it is really cold, but never a misfire. I take the breech plug out at the end of the season to inspect it. It is always clean from my regular cleaning from the muzzle. I use automotive anti-seize compound on the threads. I have a drilled out #11 nipple with a hose on it that I drop into hot soapy water. The patch seals well enough to pull water up from the bottom into the barrel. I never knew what a crud ring was until I bought a rifle that uses 209 primers.

My TC Black Diamond and Fire Hawk rifles work well using 70-90 measured grains of Triple Seven. Those rifles use #11 caps. Don't have a problem with misfires and the crud ring is minimal.
I've had the Fire Hawk & Thunder Hawk before I got Omegas. They were both darn good guns out to 150yds ( that's about the max distance I ever dropped a deer with them. I only wish I'd have known anything about T7 way back then. All I knew was good ole Goex & Pyrodex powder & pellets. The FH & TH were fairly cheap to buy & shoot. And they shot pretty well even with PB's. I did do musket cap nipples on them. Glad to hear those early inlines are still being used by happy hunters & gettin the credit they really deserved.

Good to know. I tried BH 209 for a year and am going back to pellets of some type.

I started in the beginning with pellets, couldn’t stand the crud ring so I switched to BH 209 and really like it. I still use pellets in my Traditions when a buddy wants to borrow it for ML season, I simply sighted the gun in to shoot both lose and pellets the same using a Barnes TE-Z 250 grain bullet/sabot combo. At 100 yards or less it is a one and done setup. My CVA will shoot up to 10 shots without cleaning with BH 209 and group very well, then I just push a wet patch then a couple dry patches through the barrel and make sure the BP flash channel is clear and shoot 10 more.

What is your issue with BH 209 besides availability?

Back