New CVA wolf questions MIDWAY USA purchase fired?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some more pics I want to document what it looks like best I can.

I took some from either end of the barrel you can definitely tell which one is the breech plug side.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_075203_2.jpg
    IMG_20200621_075203_2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200621_074930_9.jpg
    IMG_20200621_074930_9.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200621_074923_9.jpg
    IMG_20200621_074923_9.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200621_074923_9.jpg
    IMG_20200621_074923_9.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 23
Dont sweat it Gabpan. Clean it up, handle it, get the feel of it, and when you get it replaced you will be happy and familiar with it. Your dealing with 2 good companies that take care of their customers. Times being as they are, it may take a wee bit longer, but they value your business and want you to come back when you're ready to buy again.

That's how I like to do business. My other hobby is air rifles. I ordered one from Hatsan I liked it and their product. I ordered it directly from Hatsan although it could of been anyone. I end up buying four of the exact same model and they're hanging here on my wall. I would never consider buying an air rifle of another brand or from anyone else.

Since then on every review forum anywhere on the internet that I can comment on the hatsan rifles I do. not because they grease my palm but because it was a good quality product and they have a customer for life. With good quality customer care.

I can clearly see the CVA is an excellent rifle. to be honest I'm already thinking about getting the blued version just to have. Then I learned about the pistols that they have that look like the CVA wolf. So I thought maybe I'll pick up one of those and stainless and one in blue as well.

some people might think that's silly but I spend money on stuff I like we all do. But based on what I'm hearing here I'm fairly confident that everything will get dealt with fine. I'm not in a real hurry I would like to fire a riffle soon though.

Yep that's the one see I just assumed it would come in a blued version. Man that would look so sweet next to the wolf. Just hanging on the wall. Tempting.

Careful now. You may find that you shoot the pistol way more than the rifle. Might even decide to hunt it.

Careful now. You might find yourself shooting the pistol way more than the rifle and might find yourself hunting with it too..

This was a double dip. Can a moderator remove it please.
And I'm sure you probably could smaller game maybe larger. I know the .25 air rifle at 700 fps puts a ethical kill whomp on rabbits and smaller.

I find it absolutely amazing that these black powder riffles at so versatile. From small game to a bear with the same .50 cal muzzleloader? Without changing barrels?! That's really impressive. These really are good hunting rifle I mean from what I've read and in theory if everything is correct.

I like that one shot one kill aspect of it. I also really like that there's no FFL fees I hate paying fees it's like getting a ticket. You really have nothing to show for it.

So after cleaning it I have been able to determine that this gun was actually fired for sure. It is extremely difficult to clean nothing like machine grease from the factory on a new rifle. Cuz I don't know what type of powder they use but it is a really hard to get out of there.

As I suspected once clean those three dented lands don't look as bad but there's still a difference so I don't even know what was fired out of here.

I'm looking forward to the replacement of the barrel for a new barrel that's never been fired or a complete replacement of the firearm. At minimum.

This isn't California and this isn't a regular firearm where the manufacturer would pop off around and register it with the DOJ.

Somebody at some point where there was a consumer Midway CVA or just a shipping Warehouse screw up for somebody who submitted to return. Either way I end up with this and I have to deal with it.

I learned my lesson next time I'm going to Dick's they had one for 279 that had the scope mount and a scope.

I guarantee if they've been an issue there I would have just walk right back into dicks sporting goods.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_200141_5.jpg
    IMG_20200621_200141_5.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200621_200127_3.jpg
    IMG_20200621_200127_3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 16
On the bright side my scope mount came in today I went ahead and mounted it with my big ol honkin 6 by 24 by 50 it's become very clear to me that I need to put the 3 by 9 by 32 on here. Lol this is a big old scope for a little itty bitty carbine.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_203940_5.jpg
    IMG_20200621_203940_5.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20200621_203900_3.jpg
    IMG_20200621_203900_3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200621_203932_4.jpg
    IMG_20200621_203932_4.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 25
I would never mount a scope that way unless you want it to fail.

Believe me I know this was for pictures only lol. I can only imagine the crazy amount of recoil these things have.

The bad thing about the El cheapo scope mount that I bought is it only seems to mount one way. The bad thing about where CVA drilled it out is it you can probably only Mount most mounts one way. what's up with the screw spacing it looks like somebody took a drill and just started plugging away and then they base the mold off of that. Not sure why wouldn't be standard to like most shotguns or I don't know.

It kind of looks like a bird hanging off a ledge. Lol no way man this is was for funsies. Like another poster mentioned the three by nine will be more than sufficient. What you mean I can't take a deer at 600 yards with this thing?!

Thank you though I appreciate you saving my scope man. And yes I should have mentioned that damn it nobody do this because it's not a good idea to have your scope on a high recoil rifle mounted up and perch like a bird on one side of your elevation and windage adjustment.

The Warnes 2 piece base set has one that is "extended". So that the cross slot is not between the screws.

Warnes CVA steel bases.
M980/982M
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/optics/scope-rails/warne-cva-scope-bases-2-piece-steel.html

That is an interesting beast. Did I see that right or the rings are sideways? Don't look like a cost that much either.

I'm thinking I'll probably just go with an offset one piece weaver mount with this cheap mount.

I had one of those offsets that I loved using the only issue was 8 use the stupid plastic bushings. And guess what broke first.

I know they make plenty of those one-piece mounts with one inch rings. But honestly I don't like spending too much for that type of stuff. Believe it or not I can usually get pretty good groups with all that cheap Chinese aluminum crap.

if it was a situation where I was doing long-range small caliber precision bench shooting. I would see the need and getting expensive stuff. Not saying the you showed me was expensive just saying in general.

I want to say EGW makes a scope rail too for that gun too.

If he wont spend $25 on steel Warnes i doubt he will want to spend $30+ on the EGW extruded aluminum.

If he wont spend $26 on steel Warnes i doubt he will want to spend $30+ on the EGW
I might actually because when you think about it with what I bought and then what I'm going to need to buy to make it work comes out to more than $26.

But I think if I just Mount the 3 by 9 on there like I had originally intended this mount should work.

I was cleaning up a bit and took a photo of my collection.

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_005915_9.jpg
    IMG_20200622_005915_9.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 19
My friends Wolf came with a one piece scope base with built in rings. A mount. I assumed they all did? It would not be my first choice, but; its free and simple. Actually he likes the mount very much. I am pretty sure that one came with a cheep cheep Konus scope. ( I maybe confused he has so many. ) The plan was to dump that Konus. Now he used it at the club and hunted one season and the scope seems fine. The whole Wolf package is pretty light weight.

Regarding the CVA Optima pistol, those were discontinued and now a limited run. I looked for a used one for a year. Nothing. I jumped on the Muzzle-loaders oportunity and they were gone in a week. I see a new batch came in. It is an amazing product. The only change I made was to get the Blackhorn 209 breech plug. I dont want anything to do with 777. Any plug will work for black powder. I get the buying two, I almost ordered a 2nd this week. I just cannot afford another right now. I love being retired, but; now I am on a tighter budget. I have a scope on mine. I will probably go back to the red dot reflex to hunt.

Given a choice of stainless or any non-stainless I would prefer stainless for a modern inline. If I got 2 or 10 guns , all 10 stainless for me. I dont trust the coatings to stand up over the years and beyond that, it seems to me stainless is the ideal matterial for any of these powders. And it is all weather, best even for centerfire guns. You still have to clean the gun but you got a world of added flexability around that.

I dont have anything by Traditons, but; if the OP is looking for another way to gear up. The Traditions Outfitter in 44mag sure feels like a great gun to carry. It is a natural for anyone used to hunting an inline. Th 44 works beyond what the number might indicate and the big bore reduces the weight on the thin 22" fluted barrel. This is woods rifle with the proper 32mm scope.

Last edited:
DNZ also makes a "all in one" Game Reaper scope mount for CVA. Just like the Warnes, you can position the rear ring behind the mounting holes for more mounting clearance.
https://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-cva/
The new Traditions Outfitters are neat little CF rifles. New ones have Lothar barrels and the original model had Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back