newbie question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldrookie

Reaction score
As indicated in my introduction, just bought a CVA Optima and owners manual stinks.

Is there any prep work required before firing a new barrel? Obviously I have checked all components etc. Only mention in book was to swab the barrel to remove any packing lubricant.

Next question......I have seen mixed reviews on various sites to lubricate barrel at all. Some like the barrel butter made by TC others simply use boiling water and soap and make sure barrel is rinsed and dry. My barrel is nickel if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Is there any prep work required before firing a new barrel? Obviously I have checked all components etc. Only mention in book was to swab the barrel to remove any packing lubricant.

Clean with jag/patch using Hoppes #9 or similar. Run clean patches thru until dry.

Next question......I have seen mixed reviews on various sites to lubricate barrel at all. Some like the barrel butter made by TC others simply use boiling water and soap and make sure barrel is rinsed and dry. My barrel is nickel if that makes a difference.

I clean with a solvent such as Birchwood/Casey #77 using a bored-sized brush. NEXT..swab with clean patches until dry. Finally lube bore with Break-Free or any good gun oil. Avoid Bore Butter for anything other than a bullet lube.

Back