What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steverscout, it's a 45-70 CVA Scout that Jeff Hankins will be installing his H.I.S. breechplug so I can use it for SML during our VA muzzleloader season. It does not have a muzzle break on it. I plan on using sabots with 40cal 195 to 225 grain bullets and maybe 250 grain bullet to bore. I have VV 110, 120 and 130 powders on hand and have researched loads for each. I am mainly looking to ensure I have alternatives to shortages of Black, Pyrodex, 777 and BH209. However,the smokeless powder Hankins recommends, IMR 4198 and even 4227 is unobtainable in my area and online, it figures!
https://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net/thread/6730/advice-load-data-sml-4570?page=2

https://hanksprecisiongunparts.com/p/asg-gen2-replacement-plug-with-his-modules

https://hanksprecisiongunparts.com/...ns-dis-ignition-system-direct-ignition-system

You might want to consider having Hank (if he'll do it) install his Longer ASG Replacement Breech Plug to avoid the Long Smooth Section left by the .45-70 Chambering. Please see his Photo Cut Out of his Conversion above. You won't be able the use VV N110 without damaging your Barrel with Flame Cutting because of its Shorter Powder Column.
I use Hank's Longer ASG Replacement DI Plug in my TC Encore .45-70 Conversion so I can use down to 30 Grs of VV N110 without Damaging my barrel. I don't care for the Hard Recoil of the Large Charges of H4198 that are Required.

Thanks billyboy, once I get the barrel back I'll be checking the chamber for min loads of what I have on hand. If I can't use the 110 alone for this build I will save it for another build with the ASG, trade it or use it in a duplex load in the future. I have read that post you linked and many others! All those posts provide great information.

Bought some IMR4227 for my 300 BLK reloads. But it's stick powder so it crunches and makes my powder hopper hang up.

Soooo. Ran some numbers and now 45 grains sits below a 180 grain XTP with harvester ribbed sabot. I also have some 155s I can try. Always liked bigger and slower bullets though. More wallopie.

If the gun doesn't blow up and I keep my hands as is, I'll report back.

Wanted some more Benchmark. But not at 62 dollars a pound plus 25 hazmat fee. It feels as if the word went out to price shooters out of shooting. My current Benchmark bottle has a 27 dollar price tag on it. Quadruple pricing in 10 years time.

How many of us had our salaries go up 400% in ten years? Americans are being financially raped to death.

And no one is screaming. Clearly, it's not 1775 anymore.

Last edited:
Bought a Cape Gun on Guns International "early 1880's German Cape Gun made in Braunsweig Germany made by R.L. Rasch (name gold inlaid under right hammer) This highly engraved and gold inlaid firearm is chambered in 10.3mmX60R rifle caliber (.416) and a very rare 20 gauge shotgun barrel. The rifle barrel is marked GUSS-STAHL and has a great bore with no pitting. The shotgun barrel is damascus finished and originally chambered in the very rare 2 1/2" 20 gauge. (it now is opened to a 2 3/4" chamber)" the 20gauge has been checked out for low AA Target ammo.

I love the Circassian walnut stock. I get lost in the luminescence.

Seller is including Hornady dies, 50 rounds for the 10.3mm rifle and loading data, black powder

Attachments

• 9.5.jpg
    9.5.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 9.3.jpg
    9.3.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    554.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Bought a Cape Gun on Guns International "early 1880's German Cape Gun made in Braunsweig Germany made by R.L. Rasch (name gold inlaid under right hammer) This highly engraved and gold inlaid firearm is chambered in 10.3mmX60R rifle caliber (.416) and a very rare 20 gauge shotgun barrel. The rifle barrel is marked GUSS-STAHL and has a great bore with no pitting. The shotgun barrel is damascus finished and originally chambered in the very rare 2 1/2" 20 gauge. (it now is opened to a 2 3/4" chamber)" the 20gauge has been checked out for low AA Target ammo.

Seller is including Hornady dies, 50 rounds, and loading data, black powder
Beautiful! I don't think I'll ever have anything that nice. I live vicariously through you all 😂

Seller is including Hornady dies, 50 rounds, and loading data, black powder
I saw that listing. Beautiful, but not cheap!

I saw that listing. Beautiful, but not cheap!
Yes. I thought a long time to buy it and got the seller to come down a bit. Don't tell anyone, but I am looking at another gun. May get it on Monday. Stay tuned.

Caveat: All my life I have been a penny-pincher. Real estate has been good for us and have no children to inherit. At 80plus realized that are fewer years ahead. In excellent health me and wife. Time to buy some things I have avoided before. I still look for best price, but let's have fun.

I wish my wife, Anne, would buy some pretty pleasers, like a really good keyboard, but she is reluctant. I would buy her one, but she is very particular about what she likes. I'll keep spending on crazy toys and maybe she will come around.

Yes. I thought a long time to buy it and got the seller to come down a bit. Don't tell anyone, but I am looking at another gun. May get it on Monday. Stay tuned.

Caveat: All my life I have been a penny-pincher. Real estate has been good for us and have no children to inherit. At 80plus realized that are fewer years ahead. In excellent health me and wife. Time to buy some things I have avoided before. I still look for best price, but let's have fun.
Good for you! I can pm you my information if you would like to include me in your will! 😉

https://hanksmessageboard.freeforums.net/thread/6730/advice-load-data-sml-4570?page=2

https://hanksprecisiongunparts.com/p/asg-gen2-replacement-plug-with-his-modules

https://hanksprecisiongunparts.com/...ns-dis-ignition-system-direct-ignition-system

You might want to consider having Hank (if he'll do it) install his Longer ASG Replacement Breech Plug to avoid the Long Smooth Section left by the .45-70 Chambering. Please see his Photo Cut Out of his Conversion above. You won't be able the use VV N110 without damaging your Barrel with Flame Cutting because of its Shorter Powder Column.
I use Hank's Longer ASG Replacement DI Plug in my TC Encore .45-70 Conversion so I can use down to 30 Grs of VV N110 without Damaging my barrel. I don't care for the Hard Recoil of the Large Charges of H4198 that are Required.
That's the plug I had installed in my Scout conversion.

Back