Taking My Muzzleloader to Canada?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KamiahKid

Reaction score
I will be whitetail hunting in Alberta the las week of November. Does anyone know if I can take my powder and muzzlelader across the border with no Problems. I have taken a center fire across in the past by just registering it at the border and paying the $50 fee. Is it basically the same for black powder & muzzleloaders?

Thanks
Fred

Fred, I've been to Canada multiple times with my muzzloloader. You DONT have to pay or claim it as a long gun when going to or coming from Canada. If you make the mistake like I did on the way back across into the US and answer YES to the question "do you have any firearms in your possession?" you will be detained and your stuff will be torn apart until they realize you made a mistake. They sure aren't very friendly!!

Anyway, you should be all set.

You better double check that with the new rules. Canada views caplocks and inlines as firearms. Flintlocks are a different story. You don't want to get hassled at the border.

I 2nd bigbores comment. In this country muzzleloaders are considered firearms and have to be registered just like center fire rifles.

Back