What muzzleloading stuff did you do today?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I did today was to collect the ammo, powder and patches together for my next foray with a flintlock to the range.

I finished cleaning my friends .45 FIE n fixed him up with caps, powder cleaning hardware. Plus .40 cal 200 gr XTP bullets n sabots. Got him a new good ramrod, jag, & a nice 60 gr antler measure. So he is happy n took it home.

View attachment 16890315846383177857799423528141.jpgTook the Buckstalker out to sight in a new Vortex scope. I laser bore sighted last night and thought I was close so I started at 100yds. Started with target on left but first round is the one on right target high and left. After 4 more shots and adjustments ( one not visible because it went between the targets and destroyed my friggin target stand) I put the final 3 to bed.

I bought a bottle of Shooters World multi purpose (SWMP from now on) and just for giggles I thought I'd try it.

Same load (90gbv, mmp ballistic base and a 320g Fury star tip) and same rifle. I'm new to powder and knew there would be some change, erratic, flyers, etc, but I just never expected them to group up like that. I reloaded one last time with T7 and knocked the bull out.

It's slightly cleaner, no crud ring, but just as smokey at T7 and I'm gonna Chrono it next time out. If this holds up I can only figure if your gonna use it sight your rifle in with it or shoot high and right!

Yesterday I cast som .501" 450 gr bullets. I'm waiting on a .501 sizing die to come in tomorrow. I hope. I sized 10 down to .495" and paper patched them. Will run them thru the .501 die tomorrow and try them out next week. I know they'll shoot well out of mt 700ML but I'm hoping they also do OK in my 1:48 Hawken.

How about giving us a pic of your bedding job? Its always a learning curve and the more you see the better you understand.. ty
Didn’t get too many of the process but here’s one showing the clay dams and the Marine Tex applied. First one I’ve done with Marine Tex. I like it. I tape the fronts of the recoil lugs, block off the ramrod slot with clay, mask the top of the stock and fill the screw holes with foam plugs to keep them clean(er). Usually I just bed the lugs. This one I bedded the sides of the barrel between the lugs and about an inch forward of the front lug as well. I use Renaissance wax as a release agent. Works great.

71AF5937-0172-4C24-806D-4882096AF609.jpeg

Didn’t get too many of the process but here’s one showing the clay dams and the Marine Tex applied. First one I’ve done with Marine Tex. I like it. I tape the fronts of the recoil lugs, block off the ramrod slot with clay, mask the top of the stock and fill the screw holes with foam plugs to keep them clean(er). Usually I just bed the lugs. This one I bedded the sides of the barrel between the lugs and about an inch forward of the front lug as well. I use Renaissance wax as a release agent. Works great.
Thank you. So from this step forward you would put release agent on the barrel and press it in place, then screw the barrel action to the stock and let it sit overnight? I have the same stock and a barrel coming from Mark. I want to do the same bedding job. Thank you for helping …..
View attachment 35916

Took a chance on a rough looking White Whitetail. I came in today and I started cleaning her up. To my surprise, the plug came out easily and after a few patches of Wipe-Out I scoped the bore. Beautiful! 😁 The trigger was frozen as well but now working nicely. It’s great to be lucky from time to time.

View attachment 35778
It should be a great shooter for you, just like all Whites. Good luck.

Back