Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks guys I was using 209 extreme in between shots not only expensive but probably not the best idea !

Try ISO-HEET for the alcohol. Its 99% and available at nearly any auto parts place. Roughly 80-90% ISO and 10-20% whatever smokeless solvent you use. If you want to go the Windex route then any rubbing alcohol is fine since Windex is mostly water anyway.

I normally dont even bother swabbing at all when using BH209 but with sabotless it could be needed. Depends how tight you size your bullets.

With BH-209 you really have no need to run a patch between shots. But when I do run a patch I use just a plain old damp (not wet) blue Windex patch.

Windex bore wiping patch

WinPatch.jpg

And for myself this my simple bore cleaning routine.

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

Just for Information all of the Wal Marts are jacking the price up to $52.00 per 8 Oz. I went to a local Walmart today and they had three containers I showed them the price on the web site and they honored it but said that they would not honor it after today.

Try ISO-HEET for the alcohol. Its 99% and available at nearly any auto parts place. Roughly 80-90% ISO and 10-20% whatever smokeless solvent you use. If you want to go the Windex route then any rubbing alcohol is fine since Windex is mostly water anyway.

I normally dont even bother swabbing at all when using BH209 but with sabotless it could be needed. Depends how tight you size your bullets.
I run them thru a 451 sizer just to true up

Pretty much mirror what txhunter58 indicated.. That has been my experience also.

Easy cleaning with Blue Windex patches, dry patches, Bore Scrubber patches, and bore conditioner.

Well shoot! I should have said just see post #43.

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

Last edited:
I never put any oil based product down my barrel between shots. Too much chance of an oil based misfire. Others do it and seems to work out well, but I have never see an the need, esp with BH 209

I never put any oil based product down my barrel between shots. Too much chance of an oil based misfire. Others do it and seems to work out well, but I have never see an the need, esp with BH 209
Yeah it's been a while since I shot a knight bolt gun my bad !

A thin coat of an oil product, and I prefer a synthetic oil, is really not a problem in the bore - IF - you shoot a couple of primers prior to loading.

The primer clears the breech plug of any contaminants.

I typically shoot 3 primers before a clean gun.

Last edited:
We may have our wires crossed. I clean my gun after a shooting session with Hoppes (oil based) and when everything is clean I run a patch with Montana extreme bore conditioner (also oil based) before I put it up till next time.

When I go to the range the next time to shoot, I run a dry patch down the barrel and then pop off a couple of caps before I load that a first bullet.

After that, with BH209, I don’t run any patches until I am done shooting. But if i do decide I need to to run a patch, it is normally dry. If I decide I need to use any oil, I would pop off a cap again before reloading.

But I wouldn’t want to use a cap or 2 between each shot. Too expensive and hard to find!

Bottom line with BH 209: pop off a couple of caps, then load. Dont need to run any more patches down between loads until you are done shooting unless you have a misfire, which would be rare.

Again, that works for me well as a hunter. Target shooting competitors may need to do something different.

Last edited:
How many shots with 209 before your breech plugs get to the point of misfires and you have to clean out the plugs ? Also you guys running Teflon tape with oil on threads for the plugs ?

We may have our wires crossed. I clean my gun after a shooting session with Hoppes (oil based) and when everything is clean I run a patch with Montana extreme bore conditioner (also oil based) before I put it up till next time.

When I go to the range the next time to shoot, I run a dry patch down the barrel and then pop off a couple of caps before I load that a first bullet.

After that, with BH209, I don’t run any patches until I am done shooting. But if i do decide I need to to run a patch, it is normally dry. If I decide I need to use any oil, I would pop off a cap again before reloading.

But I wouldn’t want to use a cap or 2 between each shot. Too expensive and hard to find!

Bottom line with BH 209: pop off a couple of caps, then load. Dont need to run any more patches down between loads until you are done shooting unless you have a misfire, which would be rare.

Again, that works for me well as a hunter. Target shooting competitors may need to do something different.
Excellent explanation!!!

How many shots with 209 before your breech plugs get to the point of misfires and you have to clean out the plugs ? Also you guys running Teflon tape with oil on threads for the plugs ?

So, I am shooting a Lehigh/Knight breech plug and I am using normal - non-mag - primers. Win W209's. I shoot 20 shots quite often when bench shooting without any problems. I guess after 30 shots I would use a long 'bit on a stick' to hand drill out the flame channel of the BP. No need to remove the plug.

Long-BP-Cleaner.jpg

I use only Teflon tape, but I use the Blue Monster - blue Teflon tape - I have found it to far more durable than regular white tape or even the thicker pink tape.

1-Blue-Monster.jpg

Wrapping the plug in the correct direction is really an important point.

Blue-Monster-Wrap.jpg

But it should be noted that when shooting BH it really isn't necessary to wrap the plug. I do it hoping that it reduce any gas cutting that might occur from shooting BH.

When shooting LONG RANGE, prior to shooting and after having done the same as you have for cleaning, I also swab with a dry patch, both sides, then snap 2 primers. I'm good to go.

Only thing I do different when shooting long range target, is I do swab between rounds. That's done with the 50/50 mixture of Hoppe's and 91% alcohol. However, the patch IS NOT WET. NEVER WET. The patch is EVER SO SLIGHTLY DAMP. That is followed by a dry patch and then load.

Latest posts

Back