Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I am shooting a Lehigh/Knight breech plug and I am using normal - non-mag - primers. Win W209's. I shoot 20 shots quite often when bench shooting without any problems. I guess after 30 shots I would use a long 'bit on a stick' to hand drill out the flame channel of the BP. No need to remove the plug.

Long-BP-Cleaner.jpg

I use only Teflon tape, but I use the Blue Monster - blue Teflon tape - I have found it to far more durable than regular white tape or even the thicker pink tape.

1-Blue-Monster.jpg

Wrapping the plug in the correct direction is really an important point.

Blue-Monster-Wrap.jpg

But it should be noted that when shooting BH it really isn't necessary to wrap the plug. I do it hoping that it reduce any gas cutting that might occur from shooting BH

Thank you for the info I really like the drill bit idea I was thinking about a way to do that the other day at the range !!

So:

Shooting at the range preparing for a hunt: no swabbing between shots

LONG RANGE target shooting competitions: swab between shots with a very dry damp patch.

Got it!👍

But Sabot brings up another good point. If you shoot as many as 30 shots at the range, you do need to clean the primer pocket with a drill bit or torch cleaner.

On a side note, I notice my Lehigh plug doesn’t collect carbon as quickly as my original knight plug.

So:

LONG RANGE target shooting competitions: swab between shots with a very dry damp patch.

Got it!👍

But Sabot brings up another good point. If you shoot as many as 30 shots at the range, you do need to clean the primer pocket with a drill bit or torch cleaner.

On a side note, I notice my Lehigh plug doesn’t collect carbon as quickly as my original knight plug.

I would be my suggestion - never use any type of metal device to push through the actually flash hole! It degrades fast enough without adding any metal cleaning device.

The flash channel on the other hand does need maintenance it will fill over time. Reaming it out with the correct size drill bit is something you will need to do at some point. How quickly depends on the diameter of the flash channel and the primer being used.

bp-diagram.jpg

Sabot. Did you drill out a hole for the bit and glue it in?

Yes drill the hole in the dowel with that bit you are going to use then use a Super type glue in the hole. Push the bit in and give it time to set.

I actually use two different lengths. the long most often in the field and a short one at home when take the rifle down for cleaning.

Bit-on-a-Stick.jpg

Also, relating to this search engine:

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=563331144
I assume the SKU number has changed on the 8 Oz bottles?

I honestly think they used the available picture they had for the add. If you order it will be an 8 0z. bottle. Actually, I really think they made a big mistake in what they were selling and the price they were selling it at. It seems now the more recent checks in the stores the price is up around $55.

So:

Got it!👍

I'm a module shooter, therefore never have to clean primer pockets.

I honestly think they used the available picture they had for the add. If you order it will be an 8 0z. bottle. Actually, I really think they made a big mistake in what they were selling and the price they were selling it at. It seems now the more recent checks in the stores the price is up around $55.
I just figure when they changed the amount, they probably changed the SKU number. Anyone have a new bottle
Of 8 Oz to check?

Just for Information all of the Wal Marts are jacking the price up to $52.00 per 8 Oz. I went to a local Walmart today and they had three containers I showed them the price on the web site and they honored it but said that they would not honor it after today.
Didn't take long, did it. They jacked it $15 in one price increase. I wonder how much they've jacked the price on their generic ANAL-EEZ..

Interesting that the MSRP still shows $36.86 but they jacked it up to $52.00. Shows that they are making a nice profit off of a bad situation probably over $20.00 a bottle so much for lowest price guarantee.

Shout out to Angela at Walmart in Madison, IN! My inlaws got their hands on a pound of Blackhorn 209 for me. It just arrived today and she went out of her way to dig it up for us before it hit the shelves. I will have some to shoot this winter when they fly (drive) south.

Latest posts

Back