Blackhorn 209 worth 4-7 times

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Watching reviews of CVA Accura i noted that CVA prefers Blackhorn 209 as propellent. So I looked for it and found it was $48 (Sportsmans) to $78 (Cabelas) per half pound. Pyrodex and Triple7 were $24 for a pound. As I read it, you use the same amount of powder for you loads.

Blackhorn fans, why?!?!
I read it is cleaner, but for 4 times the price I can't see it.

Cleaner. Higher velocity. Isn't hydrophilic. No crud ring. Is it worth it? Depends. One pound will last me and my father several years. So yes, it's worth it! If I was needing multiple pounds per year? Maybe

I enjoy target shooting and go up to the local range once a week or so. Up there, I mostly burn my black powder and Triple 7, saving my Blackhorn strictly for hunting.
If you are using it because it requires less cleaning it seems to me you would do the opposite. You will have more shots down range at the range. Usually only one or two hunting.
Also, I would hunt what I practice. Maybe its just me.

If you are using it because it requires less cleaning it seems to me you would do the opposite. You will have more shots down range at the range. Usually only one or two hunting.
Also, I would hunt what I practice. Maybe its just me.
I don't mind cleaning, to me it's just a part of muzzleloading.
Plus the fact that I've got enough black powder to last me for years. Not so with Blackhorn. I have about a and a half.
I do shoot some Blackhorn just to verify my shots before I use it for hunting. I should have mentioned that part.

I just ordered 4# of 777, never shot it before so I hope I like it. I shoot a fair amount and I just can't bring myself to pay $160/pound + Shipping for BH209. I guess I'll find out if it's worth the sky high price or not. I have a pound of BH209 left I'm planning on saving it for hunting unless I really end up liking thr 777.

I hunt with a CVA Accura using BH 209 but I only shoot that gun a few times before season to make sure it is still zeroed. Then Hunt, clean and store so the few pounds I have will last a long time. My other in-line is a Knight MK 85 with a 209 primer. Shooting 75 grains weighed T-7 2F in this gun with a 240 grain XTP and a green crush rib sabot I have never developed a crud ring. I usually shoot the gun 5-7 Shots at a time. BH 209 is a great powder but if the prices and availability do not fall back in line when I run out, I will probably switch to T7 for both Guns.

Shooting 75 grains weighed T-7 2F in this gun with a 240 grain XTP and a green crush rib sabot I have never developed a crud ring.
What are you doing to keep from having the crud ring with 209 primers and 777? I never could totally eliminate it so BH209 is what I have used for many years.

I was in a shop just this afternoon and they had all kinds of BH209 powder.... in 8 ounce jugs for $89.99.I asked how many jugs they've sold since they shrunk and went up in price. None he said, but T7 is hard to keep in stock now. lol

I am not sure why the crud ring does not happen with this particular gun shooting this load. I have had guns in the past that it happened with but this one never has.

I am a new muzzleloader user so take this with a grain of salt. I only kill 5 or so deer a year. Add in a couple zero checks each year with one shot kills, that's not a lot of shooting.

These guys on here were great helping me get started. I am shooting a CVA Optima V2 with two 50/50 pellets of T7.

The bullet it liked was the Hornady .44 XTP in 240 grains. The green sabot that came with it were nearly impossible to load. At recommendations of MML members I ordered the green Harvester Crush Rib sabot. That combination turned out to be the bomb. I'll try and attach the 100 yard group.

All that being said, on to the crud ring with T7 50/50 pellets and that combo. When I was sighting in between shots, three licks with a jag and a TC cleaning patch and it's gone. Two double sided passes with a dry patch after that was it. The two deer I killed so far with it this year I don't think I would have had a second opportunity if I had of missed. I cleaned at home.

My thoughts and others have their own. 100 pellets for $40. I'm not sure how that compares to BH209 per shot but the crud ring is not a problem to me.

Once again many thanks to all on here. MML is great!

Attachments

• IMG_20221231_145609268.jpg
    IMG_20221231_145609268.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
I think that Hodgdon has figured out that the MZ community is similar to the center fire owners.

Common ammo hit upwards of $3-$4 per round, $60 - $80 per box of 20, and it still flew off of the shelves. Uncommon calibers were / still are inflated. Yet, we as community were still shooting / hunting and buying ammo.

IMHO - Hodgdon is making a bet that the hunter paying $4 a round for his favorite “whats-en-banger” - will pay half of that to shoot his muzzleloader, especially if they’re not at the range a lot.

Like Ron above - I’ve got Knights that crud ring in two shots, and some that don’t seem to get it at all. Load is two 777 pellets and a 300 grain sabot combo, usually Hornady. Not letting the ring sit for a long time, and a hit with foaming bore cleaner generally gets rid of it pretty quick. It’s annoying, but livable.

Back