Blackhorn 209 worth 4-7 times

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 35286
$5 a shot and $5000 worth of guns, gear, tags, fuel and time off work…I love it.❤️
Try that by 4.5 to 5 times that amount. Blackhorn cost doesn't even make you blink. If it's what you want and you got the means, shoot whatever is the best.If you can't, shoot what you can , there's no shame in that either. My Weatherby ammo is up around $175 a box.I'm still gonna keep plenty.

Reason I say that is to save on buying the factory ammo,lots of guys here do for there weatherby's

Reason I say that is to save on buying the factory ammo,lots of guys here do for there weatherby's
I have 2 Mark V Accumarks , one in 30-378 and .300 weatherby. On top of that I have a 7mm STW that the cases are crazy high.I only shoot Barnes Bullets. Double Tapp used to load them but their quality went way down. Weatherby loads the ones I shoot so I been buying for a few years. I have plenty but may start back reloading if my work schedule ever slows down.

I have a feeling they're just milking it prior to the patent expiration. As soon as that expires other companies can produce their own variants and unless the materials cost is truly driving the price hikes, I'd expect it'll come down to around what other BP-subs and smokeless powders sell for.
As it is I have one container of it. I almost never target shoot the muzzle loader (just verify zero before a hunting season) so I'm firing maybe 3-4 shots per year max.
At 75 grains per shot 8oz will last me ~10-12 years.

I have a feeling they're just milking it prior to the patent expiration. As soon as that expires other companies can produce their own variants and unless the materials cost is truly driving the price hikes, I'd expect it'll come down to around what other BP-subs and smokeless powders sell for.
As it is I have one container of it. I almost never target shoot the muzzle loader (just verify zero before a hunting season) so I'm firing maybe 3-4 shots per year max.
I hope you're right about that but I don't know. They've been making and selling it for quite a few years now! I got lucky and acquired 2 10oz jugs for $55 each. I sighted the muzzleloader in and used about 8 shots with 80grn by volume. I ended up getting another full 10oz jug plus one that was opened with about 8oz left in it from a fellow member who gave me a great deal! I've got enough to try out a few new loads and deer hunt with for quite a few more years! These prices are ridiculous!

Watching reviews of CVA Accura i noted that CVA prefers Blackhorn 209 as propellent. So I looked for it and found it was $48 (Sportsmans) to $78 (Cabelas) per half pound. Pyrodex and Triple7 were $24 for a pound. As I read it, you use the same amount of powder for you loads.

Blackhorn fans, why?!?!
I read it is cleaner, but for 4 times the price I can't see it.
Join the club, I shoot BP

Makes me happy I'm (NOT) you , I'm good for a LB of OE black on a good week !

If one is shooting the very same rifle, and the very same bullet, and the very same mass of powder, and one understands conservation, of momentum, one realizes a half again increase in recoil is due to an increase to the speed of the bullet. Any physicist understands the increase of recoil in this situation is only due to an increase in the speed of the bullet. The calculations are clear.
Ron that would seem logical from a physics standpoint but if that's the case why is my POI the same at both 50 and 100 yards with equal volumes of powder?
I'm definitely going to run them thru my chrony next time out.

Try that by 4.5 to 5 times that amount. Blackhorn cost doesn't even make you blink. If it's what you want and you got the means, shoot whatever is the best.If you can't, shoot what you can , there's no shame in that either. My Weatherby ammo is up around $175 a box.I'm still gonna keep plenty.
As much as I've always loved everything Weatherby, I've never bought one bc of their ammo, its availability & its cost. But I can not argue with your logic.

My local Walmart has a good bit of muzzleloader supplies in stock. Pyrodex rs and a few muzzleloader 209 caps and several different bullets. The spot for blackhorn powder was empty and the tag was $83! Too expensive for me!

Ron what are you trying to say. You quoted my post twice but didn't type anything! At least if you did it didn't show up.
I hope you're doing well since our last conversation and everything is going as planned.

Back