Blackhorn 209 worth 4-7 times

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot T7 fffg in my Accura V2 at the same weight as the BH209 and same bullet at the range as I shoot for hunting with zero adjustments needed. Come hunting season I always take a couple loads of the T7 and some of the BH to the club and shoot each to verify that the gun is still on when I make the switch. My hunting shots are for the most part, well within 100 yards.
Thanks for the information! I'll be looking to get some 777 and more primers. Like yourself, most of my hunting shots are under 100yds. I've been using the xtp 240s and I've been wanting to try the xtp 300s.

I shoot T7 fffg in my Accura V2 at the same weight as the BH209 and same bullet at the range as I shoot for hunting with zero adjustments needed. Come hunting season I always take a couple loads of the T7 and some of the BH to the club and shoot each to verify that the gun is still on when I make the switch. My hunting shots are for the most part, well within 100 yards.
I shoot the Traditions Vortec Strikefire Vapr. Owners manual says max load for loose powder T7 is 100 grain by volume, and BH is 120 grain by volume. Projectile used was Hornady Boredriver 290 grain. Just did a comparison today using those loads. T7 primers used for the T7 powder, Federal 209A primers for the BH. T7 group was 3.5 inch at 100 yards while the BH was 1 inch at 100 yards and 5 inches higher. Th BH is larger grain than the T7. I liked the tighter groups from the BH so I adjusted the scope, ran 2 dry patches down the barrel, cleaned the breach plug, 1st round hit dead center. 2nd & 3rd hit 3/4 inch to right touching. I put T7 on shelf. Sticking with BH

I shoot the Traditions Vortec Strikefire Vapr. Owners manual says max load for loose powder T7 is 100 grain by volume, and BH is 120 grain by volume. Projectile used was Hornady Boredriver 290 grain. Just did a comparison today using those loads. T7 primers used for the T7 powder, Federal 209A primers for the BH. T7 group was 3.5 inch at 100 yards while the BH was 1 inch at 100 yards and 5 inches higher. Th BH is larger grain than the T7. I liked the tighter groups from the BH so I adjusted the scope, ran 2 dry patches down the barrel, cleaned the breach plug, 1st round hit dead center. 2nd & 3rd hit 3/4 inch to right touching. I put T7 on shelf. Sticking with BH
Seems strange that the max load of 777 is only 100grn by volume. Most muzzleloaders will handle 150grn of loose powder with a maximum of 120grn of Blackhorn by volume. I most definitely prefer the Blackhorn myself but the price needs to come back down to reality!

Seems strange that the max load of 777 is only 100grn by volume. Most muzzleloaders will handle 150grn of loose powder with a maximum of 120grn of Blackhorn by volume. I most definitely prefer the Blackhorn myself but the price needs to come back down to reality!
Page 52 of the owner's manual. See for yourself. The BH definitely had a bit more recoil than the T7.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-06 182423.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-02-06 182423.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 1
Page 52 of the owner's manual. See for yourself. The BH definitely had a bit more recoil than the T7.
That's what it says! It just doesn't seem correct to me! My Accura V2 Lr is 150grn max for 777, pyrodex etc. but blackhorn is 120grn max. I don't know if that's an error on Tradidtions part or what. If you can shoot 120grn of Blackhorn you should be able to shoot 150grn of loose powder or pellets. That's just weird!

With what I Invest in scopes, guns, ammo, multiple state leases and diesel fuel BH209 is a drop in the bucket.I stop at sportsmens warehouse every time I go to main office (about once a month) and pick one or two jugs up.I think I'm the only one that buys it there, lol.

Last edited:
I know people who spend thousands of dollars to hunt elk
I know people who spend thousands of dollars on rifles and scopes
i know some who spend 50-100 dollars for factory loaded ammunition and only get 20 rounds for that price
so the cost of anything seems to be irrelevant if a person wants it they will have it
Blackhorn 209 is one of those things sure you can buy others but you don't get the same performance that you do with BH

I honestly don't see the hype , I myself don't shoot long range or target to need the holy grail of powder, or the $2.00 each bullets they use, deer die just as good with 777, or swiss lol it may really perform good for others I've not found the magic comb.

Real black for me

Doesnt rust kike pyrodex, can shoot plenty in both my 1858 and 54 sidelock, is the cheapest of the option and it is why i got into muzzle loading

I can see using the subs if you cant get real, but I dont know how you can own a rifle and only shoot a few rounds per year if any

When I first got into muzzleloader hunting with a sidelock we used pyrodex rs and didn't have many problems with it other than the crud ring! It was an all day affair going out to target practice and cleaning up the muzzleloaders afterwards! Fast forward til today and I now have an accura V2 lr and I can go to the range and shoot and then clean up the muzzleloaders in half the time! I enjoy all my time outdoors!

Looking to get first muzzleloader soon and I can only find it at $79.99 as well. Seems expensive for it but everywhere I read says it’s good to use

This is my 3rd attempt to like BH209. The 1st two were soso at best. Even today (see my 700 post today) I'm not a big fan of it in my .50 cal inlines. However in my .45 Knight Mountaineer it really shines.
Shooting the 300+ grain bullets out of my 50s the felt recoil of 100 gr volume of BH209 feels half again greater than the same charge of Alliant Black MZ. And apparently the velocity difference isn't all that great because same bullets will hit same POI at least out to 100 yards.

Shooting the 300+ grain bullets out of my 50s the felt recoil of 100 gr volume of BH209 feels half again greater than the same charge of Alliant Black MZ.

If one is shooting the very same rifle, and the very same bullet, and the very same mass of powder, and one understands conservation, of momentum, one realizes a half again increase in recoil is due to an increase to the speed of the bullet. Any physicist understands the increase of recoil in this situation is only due to an increase in the speed of the bullet. The calculations are clear.

I used to shoot a good bit of BH209. Not so much anymore with the ridiculous price gouging. I now have a new appreciation for my Swiss powders. Lately I find myself shooting either my sidelocks or my smokeless Encore. No BH209 required.

Looking to get first muzzleloader soon and I can only find it at $79.99 as well. Seems expensive for it but everywhere I read says it’s good to use
Personally I like blackhorn powder because it's a little cleaner than other substitutes. The main reason that I like it is because I can see what happens when I shoot at a deer. There isn't as much smoke as something like pyrodex rs! I'm going to get some 777 and try it out. I've never shot anything else out of my accura V2 lr and people are saying that 777 is pretty close. I'll shoot 777 at the range and save my blackhorn powder for hunting!

I would agree in that if you only hunt and shoot occasionally then BH209 is great to use. You could probably go a few years before running out. But if you do any target shooting you could easily use up a 8 ounce bottle or two of the stuff in one range trip. Thus maybe use T7 etc for the range and BH209 for the actual hunts is the way to go.

View attachment 35286
$5 a shot and $5000 worth of guns, gear, tags, fuel and time off work…I love it.❤️
Well that seems pretty cheap if you are a out of state hunter the cost would be a multiple of that cost.

I remember going to our local Bass pro and in the restroom they have a large picture on the wall of someone bagging a world record boar in Mongolia. You know that cost a bunch of gold.

Back