Blackhorn 209 worth 4-7 times

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My stash includes approximately four lbs of Black Horn and eight lbs of ff7. I should be good for a long time. I don't think I'll ever run out of the Black Horn. If I do because of the high prices will shoot 777. Now if a could just find some Federal 209A's.

I read this thread with great interest….
Put into perspective, there was a time before black powder substitutes….fouling and rotten egg smell coupled with overnight rusting defined the muzzleloader experience…then the first substitutes showed up as did designated “primitive” muzzleloader seasons geared to the limited range and open sights limitations of the single shot…my roundballs flew true…bucks died.

Fast forward to this thread commentary in Modern Muzzleloader…powder, guns and bullets resemble muzzleloading in a minimal reflective manner by way of loading from the muzzle and a ramrod…stink, corrosion, patches, grease, wood stocks etc are pretty much the “stuff” and ancient musings of some other shooting sport…

Complaining about “crud rings”, the price of magic fouless powder and the loose fit of plastic sabots in stainless steel barrels is kind of amusing.

I enjoy my in-lines and killed a great bull elk with one but I’m trying to keep it all in perspective …my rotten egg smelling halfstock roundball mountain/plains rifle makes me appreciate my tack driving 2506…

So fouling and swabbing is part of the muzzleloader deal…and $160 a pound fouless powder can sit on the shelf forever.

I have 12 10oz canisters of BH that I bought before the shortage and price spike, and if I didn’t have what I do, I would never buy any at current prices. I used Pyrodex and Triple 7 when I got into muzzleloader hunting 20 years ago, and I have no problem going back to them.

There is no way in hell I'd pay approximately 90 dollars for 8 Oz of powder. I rarely shoot powerbelt bullets as it is due to the ridiculous price for them. My homemade powder is quite effective for much more realistic 100 yard shots. I learned several years ago how to make small quantities of powder for my own purposes which I believe after a lot of testing, rivals Goex in quality.

Now that most hunting seasons are over. I find BH 209 pretty available. I found at least 5 different retailers today that have it in stock. Going rate is $70-80/ bottle

My proposal: Buy only if you really need it. If you buy, get only the amount you need in the near future.

It’s the only way we have any hope of getting the price down.

For me: I like it better than any other powder (and I have used them all) but won’t be buying any at these prices. We all have time to retool before next fall’s hunting seasons.

There are other great powders out there that we did just fine with before BH. Keep that in mind

Watching reviews of CVA Accura i noted that CVA prefers Blackhorn 209 as propellent. So I looked for it and found it was $48 (Sportsmans) to $78 (Cabelas) per half pound. Pyrodex and Triple7 were $24 for a pound. As I read it, you use the same amount of powder for you loads.

Blackhorn fans, why?!?!
I read it is cleaner, but for 4 times the price I can't see it.
I have read all the posts and one thing that was not mentioned was you don't use a water based solvent/process to clean BH 209, only petroleum based cleaners. Less chance of rust on my muzzle loader.

If one were to mix dish soap in a strong enough solution with hot water he'd be able to clean 209 residue, but Hoppes solvent or any other centerfire solvent will work maybe even better and no water to deal with.

I like the non-water aspect, I accidentally pitted my CVA Wolf barrel a few years back when I was a newby because I didn't realize the TC foam barrel cleaner I had bought was water based. I had plugged the barrel and left it over night to "soak" next morning I was surprised to see so much orange coming out of the barrel. Not good. It cleaned up ok, but I had a good pit near the breech plug, so the rifling survived and it still shot well.

It's cleaner burning and much easier to clean my Accura V2. The best thing for me is that it doesn't smoke as much as the other substitutes! I can actually see what the deer does after the shot! I've got enough for a few more seasons and if the price doesn't come back down some then I will think about going back to Pyrodex or 777!

I am not sure why the crud ring does not happen with this particular gun shooting this load. I have had guns in the past that it happened with but this one never has.
It would be interesting to know the reson why. If you figure it out, please share with us. Is your cleaning process/chemicals different, etc?

Or do as others here are doing.... shoot the BH209 during your hunting season and use T7 for general shooting during the off season.
I've never shot anything but blackhorn out of my accura V2. Would I have to sight the gun back in after practicing with 777 or pyrodex? I definitely would like to shoot it more often than I do but it's hard to find primers and powder in S.Ohio!

It would be interesting to know the reson why. If you figure it out, please share with us. Is your cleaning process/chemicals different, etc?
I clean this gun using Water and Balistol Mix at a 7 to 1 ratio. I am very thorough with my cleaning and always oil the inside of the barrel for storage then dry patch a couple of times before I shoot. This gun is a very early MK 85 and very accurate but just never develops the ring like other in lines that I have shot.

I've never shot anything but blackhorn out of my accura V2. Would I have to sight the gun back in after practicing with 777 or pyrodex? I definitely would like to shoot it more often than I do but it's hard to find primers and powder in S.Ohio!

I shoot T7 fffg in my Accura V2 at the same weight as the BH209 and same bullet at the range as I shoot for hunting with zero adjustments needed. Come hunting season I always take a couple loads of the T7 and some of the BH to the club and shoot each to verify that the gun is still on when I make the switch. My hunting shots are for the most part, well within 100 yards.

Latest posts

Back